Adult Mouser to Small Ratter!

Never give up! Have a beautiful 9 month Super Enchi Pastel Blackhead Het Hypo female that would only eat adult mice. I finally got her to take the first small rat.

*F/T Small Rat defrosted in refrigerator over night, 20 minutes in a ziplock soaking in hot tap water. Warmed under heatlamp for about 5 minutes with a F/T Adult Mouse. Rubbed warm mouse on warm rat. Placed warm mouse in enclosure causing snake to come forward in feeding response, immediately placed tong held rat in front of snake, between snake and mouse. Snake took Rat. Rat is now food. :sunglasses:

14 Likes

This is one of those issues that if you told a “non reptile” person they would not understand what a exciting and big win this is! Congratulations!

9 Likes

Oh good because someday I need to switch my Mouser. It’ll be a while yet but the day will come!
Thank you so much for sharing your method!

7 Likes

It really is. I’m so happy right now! I hate wasting rodents and this girl has left a trail of rat bodies up to this point.

6 Likes

You’re very welcome. I learned from others also, except for the placing the mouse in and waiting for the snake to go for in and placing the rat in the way, that was mine, lol. I’m sure it’s been done, but nobody told me.

6 Likes

I’m with you! I got 2 breeder females on f/t mice and 1 on live mice. The amount of jumbo mice can be ridiculous in the breeding season!

7 Likes

What we won’t do for our wiggly kids! I would venture to say that you have officially gone WAY OVER and WAY ABOVE your duties as a feeding person to your very lucky legless scaly creature! Congratulations are in order!!! :+1::blush::heart::lizard::frog::snake:

7 Likes

That’s a huge win ! Congrats and awesome job.

4 Likes

Super huge win for you!! For real, only reptile people get it! Congratulations!!

7 Likes

Good for you! :clap: :clap: and good for your snake, too! It’s such an amazing feeling when the stubborn ones do what we hope and work for. :grin:

5 Likes