Advice of identifying morph

Hi guy

Does anyone know were I can find information or links to websites were I can get information on identifying morphs, as I am struggling I can identify basics ie pastel, spider, banana ect but when it come to multiple genes or ever what you mite say basic ie enchi calico I struggle

I am interested in one day breeding but need to do my research on identifying as need to no this if I am to produce snakes with multiple genes

I have 18 month to go before I even think about breeding as my ball a juvenile she is a fire fly and I am yet to decide what male to buy for future breeding

But even when identifying my fire fly I dont actually no what it is the makes it a fire fly and not a super bright pastle ( am I right in thinking it is how faded her head is )

I’ll post pictures and if you could advise me what makes it fire fly and not a pastle that would be great

2 Likes

3 Likes

What makes it a firefly is when it carries the Pastel and the Fire gene.

1 Like

Yes and that is what it is fire x pastel clown but there must still be a difrence btween a pastle and a fire fly no ??? I assumed there must be characteristics of a fire visually for it to be named a firefly

When I bought her there was five snakes very similar four of them was labelled firefly one was labelled a pastel I personally couldn’t tell the difference and the seller told me me as he couldn’t be 100% sure it was a firefly he labelled it as a pastel and sold it me at 8 past our price but as I looked more into it and more pictures I could not see the difference between the four of the snakes therefore I posted on here for opinions and everybody came back with it being a firefly and not a pastel

My opinion was that this was a firefly and not a pastel due to how light the head was as well as the blushing within the black and how how much the alien heads were irregular and merged in some places

1 Like

@balls2u would appreciate some advice I follow your channel on you tube. It’s a great channel full of information

2 Likes

I think you are spot on as far as characteristics go with it being a Firefly. If it where just a single gene pastel it would not have that much blushing. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1: yes thanks

1 Like

Hi Dan,
Het clown can make for brighter babies.
However some fire lines get better with age and I feel that it’s best to grow it up or sell it as a possible firefly.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Gavin

1 Like

When I want to see a lot of examples of a particular morph, I do a search on MorphMarket to bring up all examples of it including the ‘sold’ ads. I think you need to be logged in to view sold ads.

As far as identifying your firefly (which in case you don’t know is just an alternate name for a fire pastel). First is the coloration. Fire makes her yellows more intense and brighter, and reduces the brown tint. Pastels usually have a “brown out line” about halfway up their sides. The yellow above the line on the back is usually a bit darker than below, and usually gets a little more brown/tan with age. Fire generally erases this line and brightens up the yellow on the back. Fire pastels maintain more of their yellow coloration into adulthood.

Second is the head. Fire is known for its head stamp, which is a patch of lighter color on top of the head. Here is a picture of one of my fire hatchlings so you can see what I mean.

Yours has a light head due to the pastel, but there is an even lighter patch in the middle. Definite head stamp.

1 Like

Pairing was Banana Fire het Pied male to a visible Pied female. Wondering what anyone thinks these 2 hatchling are.

Thanks for any opinions.

One thing that might help you with identification is to go on MM here and use the filter to look at just Pastels. Make sure you select 1 for the number of genes, and select “All” for availability. It will still probably throw in a few super pastels as it is still just the pastel gene. Now open another window of MM and do the same thing but select Pastel and Fire. Use 2 for the number of genes and “All” for availability. Now you can compare the differences side by side as you go.

I use the feature constantly when looking at animals to help isolate the separate genes and look at the variations in the combos.