Albino Striped Black Rat Snake

So it likely isn’t a cataract and is more likely an abscess from some sort of infection/parasites. That makes more sense but also means it would likely need an operation. I will have to schedule with the vet for an exam to see what they think, and if surgery is needed I will need to ask about prices and might not be able to do it right away. Thank you for the help on this one.

Edit: Just heard back from the vet and she is scheduled for the 28th of this month. Luckily their comprehensive exams don’t break the bank.

2 Likes

I’m glad to have helped! I read up a bit about the operation for subspectacular abscesses, and if it turns out that’s what Polaris needs, it sounds like a procedure that a reptile vet would be familiar with, which is good news. Just please keep in mind that anything I relay is with the best intentions, but I’m still not a herp vet, hehe. :wink: And of course there’s no substitute for a hands-on exam.

For the curious- I actually found my old Reptile Care atlas from Frye had some of the best info and images! Dr. Frye, Dr. Frye- he’s my guy! Hehe- the grandfather of reptile vet med. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Alright, finally have time to update this after taking Polaris to the vet yesterday. The vet says it looks like a cataract in her eye. She said the whistle I am hearing when she is breathing is likely something that will be lifelong due to her breeder having kept her with an RI for a long time. She said she didn’t hear anything in her lungs so the whistle is probably coming from her nose.

The vet also gave me eye drops to treat a small amount of swelling from the cataract, and it will help keep any sort of discomfort from occurring. I have to give it to her twice a day for ten days, then reduce it to once a day as needed. It will likely be a medication that she always needs, but one bottle lasts a while and it doesn’t cost much. It helps that Polaris doesn’t mind being held in place for a bit while I give her the eye drops. She is holding onto her weight perfectly fine as well, so hopefully this is the last scare I have with her. Both Polaris and I need a break, that is for sure.

Here are some updated pictures, not the best lighting but I can get more when it isn’t gloomy later on this week.

5 Likes

Glad to hear such a great outcome or such a beautiful snake!

3 Likes