All about pieds! (Genetics)

Hiya guys! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:Sort of new to working with pieds and wondered if some more experianced breeders could help me out?
I have recently paid for an enchi pied female. I believe it enhances more pattern. (Might not be the case in every baby? If i’m right in thinking this?). What genes could I add to a enchi pied to reduce the pattern again?

Any other tips with pieds?

A few years down the line id like to add OD YB and maybe gene x.

If anyone has any other interesting combos and photos, feel free to add them :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hey George

You may appreciate the piebald tag :wink:

And the Morphpedia article for Piebald.

6 Likes

Yes, you are correct about enchi, though I am unsure how to go about reducing the amount of pattern back down. I also have seen Leopard give pieds a whole lot of pattern as well and to my amateur eye, they look similarto enchi pieds in some circumstancesas well.

I love lighting pieds, suma pieds, high intensity OD pieds just off the top of my head. Pieds are one of my favorite morphs for sure!

2 Likes

Black Pastel, cinnamon, spider, and most of the BEL morphs reduce patterning and cause high white in pieds

3 Likes

If you mix a typical high pattern enchi with a pattern reducer is there a common predictable outcome for amount of pattern vs. amount of white? Like, are offspring that have a pattern reducing gene plus a pattern heavy gene more white, more patterned or is the outcome unpredictable? I suppose I can just answer my own question by looking on MM but I’m interested in the explanation behind it too.

2 Likes

Love leopard pieds :heart: the od pieds do it for me, I love the contrast in colours :heart:

For me to make those, ill need to make hets with one of my females so thats in the pipeline for this year x in the mean time im working with a few one gene pieds to start working our way up slowly.

1 Like

Ooo interesting, black pastel and cinnamon would be awesome to play with but id need to get it in. I have lesser in alot of my males, my only concern is getting an all white pied. It would mean id have to keep it and breed it when older.

1 Like

Also interested in this! Pied is abit confusing as the pattern rules that apply in non pieds aren’t the same in pieds. For instance calico i can imagine would be super hard to id in a low white pied. And pied does also mess with pattern and colours (in what ive seen so far). I suppose experiance and playing around with the projects, plus genetic testing would help to understand the patterns and help me understand how to ID multigene pieds in a few years time x

1 Like

Im also wondering if genes like blade and genex would help the adults keep most of the sharp, vibrant colours they have as babies. Not in a position yet to test this but it’s definately on the bucket list for the future

1 Like