All of a sudden it happened!

So tonight i saw Snowfall swimming around his tub so i figured lets do some exposure and tap training.

As always he comes out to greet me, but today was different because he ventured out a bit further past the edge. I grabbed my little book light that i have been using as an interim tool. I gave him gentle touches under his chin and about his head and neck. I paused not wanted to force this too fast, i used my closed fist and put it so he could smell me. I then sat back allowing him to dictate what he wanted and how much attention. He slowly decided he wanted to explore and i let him crawl out on me, omg he didn’t have his normal rapid recoil back!

He actually let me pick him up and hold him he swam around my hands and up and down my arm, he even climbed up my neck! I let him explore a bit before sasha came wandering in at one point i did squirt her with the water bottle to back her away. I decided 5 minutes was enough today i don’t want to over do it and to stress him. I can finally see my efforts paying off, thanks to all the great advice here. :heart:

10 Likes

Yaaaay!!! Glad to see you’re making progress and he’s getting more comfortable with handling. Keep it up, you’re both doing great!

3 Likes

That’s great! It can be tricky to teach snakes that we aren’t going to hurt them. I wanted to use that method of letting them decide when they wanted to come out, but I have a very inactive sand boa, so I could sit with the lid open for hours and he would just sit under the substrate, lol.

3 Likes

That’s terrific! It’s so nice to hear successful behavior stories (human and animal, lol). Individuals are, well, individual. It’s nifty that Snow is an “out and about” type. I’ve got a couple like Riley @erie-herps, who would be fine sitting in their favorite hide or under the substrate for … ever.

3 Likes

He has always been outgoing on his terms. I let him dictate as i do all my animals the level of interaction they want. If he is laying in his hide or curled up i leave him be. Even my kitty who is my shadow, i only give her attention as she desires.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Really glad to hear that the two of you seem to be getting more comfortable with each other. Tap/hook training is really useful. It helps the snake to know what’s going on and lets them know it’s not food time, and it also gives the keeper an opportunity to guage the snake’s mood and temperament without risking their fingers. I’m so happy you’re having success with it! Snow is such a handsome boy. :heart:

3 Likes