Animal recommendations for a 12x12x12 exoterra?

I’ve had a bioactive setup for my dumpy tree frogs, but I recently changed some things up and improved it. Sadly I got bit by the bioactive bug in the process. Now I’m extremely keen on turning one of my leftover 12x12x12s into a bioactive of some sort. I was thinking about some dart frogs or a smaller gecko species? What else could comfortable be housed in a tank that size?

6 Likes

Tarantulas!!

4 Likes

I would go with an Emperor Scorpion. Although a T is another good choice.

4 Likes

Inverts would be great. It’s too small for most dart frogs but there are some micro geckos that could live in there.

4 Likes

Would not put any day gecko in there, not big enough for them at all, no dart frogs either.
Invert yes :blush:

5 Likes

Why do i feel im the only one that read that as 12’x12’x12’… i was so excited for a moment hahaha

6 Likes

Big enough for a Viper Gecko. Little tough to find. but I’m always pretty impressed when people can pull off desert bioactive.

4 Likes

Maybe a yellow headed gecko? I don’t know much about them, but I’ve heard they can live in a 12 x 12 x 12. Bynoe’s gecko could also work.

4 Likes

Any scorpion species will do great in a 12x12x12. I house all of my scorpions in those enclosures and it would be easy to go bioactive. The downside is UV is harmful to scorpions and being nocturnal they don’t require it anyways. Desert scorpions are much easier to care for than tropical/subtropical /forest because you don’t have to mist to keep the desired humidity range.

Scorpions require very little maintenance and food costs are not bad.

3 Likes

Yes, a pinchy, stingy lobster…

4 Likes

Oooh! Blue Death Feigning Beetles! You could probably house two in a space like that and make it look very very cool as well.

3 Likes

I’ll second @spottedbull 's recommendation, TARANTULA! But one step further , an arboreal tarantula.

T. Gigas
P. Irminia
P. Cambridgei
A. Avicularia

I’ve been out of breeding tarantulas for about 8 years. Some of the scientific names have changed since. Not sure if any of these have changed.

4 Likes

My favorite of these!

4 Likes

This size of enclosure is to short, and is horrible for an arboreal tarantula, they need vertical space as they spend hardly any of their time on the floor of their tanks. I bought an avicularia avicularia not knowing much about arboreal species and i put it in a enclosure of this size and soon realized my mistake.

1 Like

You are correct, for a mature tarantula.
My female P. Cambridgei was very comfortable growing up in a 8x8x12 acrylic enclosure. Rehoused as a sub adult to a 10 gallon tank on end.
Plenty of room for a couple of hides.
She bred in that 10 gallon and gave me 150 or so beautiful little slings.
Arboreal means they climb , not that they need a really tall enclosure.

I also housed and bred a female P. Irminia in a 8x8x12 That egg sac was pulled and incubated.

2 Likes