Any concerns with bamboo(plant) in ball python enclosure?

Is bamboo safe for ball python enclosures? I have a new BlackBox on the way and and will be setting it up as a bioactive tank. I plan to do a foam wall and want to do a sort of pegboard. I have bamboo growing in my yard so it is zero cost. I know bamboo resists rotting due to moisture, but is it safe for the snake? Would also probably do a couple larger ones diagonally across the tank too, like the tank it’s replacing.

2 Likes

No mine is not for a ball python I have a piece of bamboo (appropriately aged) in my boa’s tank and have not noticed anything wrong.

1 Like

Bamboo is safe to use.

2 Likes

I use bamboo in all of my bioactives. I didn’t know you could grow bamboo. Is it hard to grow?

2 Likes

It is quite easy, I grow it out in my back yard. When some falls off it clean it so it is safe and does not have bacteria then I place it in one of my snakes enclosures. I have news! I just bought my cribos. Lol I’m so excited sorry for the topic turn.

1 Like

It grows like a weed in the PNW. I cut it down yearly and it grows back thicker and taller.

2 Likes

It is a very hardy plant :+1:

2 Likes

That is awesome!

Most Bamboo is extremely invasive. We grow three varieties but we put an 80 mil barrier 3’ into the ground all the way around each to prevent spread. It’s still recommended to check the outer 6" perimeter of the barrier every year for aggressive rhizomes. Bamboo is no joke and will take over quickly. Some will grow up to 2’ per day.

3 Likes

I’m thinking I could grow it inside to prevent any unwanted effects. Do you know which species you have and the ones that grow the quickest?

2 Likes

Mine came with the house

1 Like

I have Hawaiian Stripe, Seabreeze, and Green Timber bamboo in my yard but they are small plants as of now and are clumping varieties.

1 Like

My only concern with using live bamboo in a viv is that it is insanely robust and tenacious. I would worry that the rhizomes would blow out the seems at the bottom while the crown would press against the top and bend/distort/break it

2 Likes

Wait, we are talking about using live bamboo? I don’t suggest this as it grows fast and huge in the right growing climate. I use aged dried bamboo in my enclosure.

2 Likes

That’s also what I meant, I use dried bamboo. As far as live bamboo I think slow-growing, clumping species (not running) could be kept if they were contained and often trimmed (as to not cause damage)

1 Like

That may work

1 Like

I was looking at bamboo to grow and I came across Phyllostachys atrovaginata. It looks perfect for my uses (fast growing, straight growth, large diameter, and hardy). The only problem is that it has a waxy substance that have a fragrance. Would this be harmful if it is dried and aired out or is there a way to clean it off?

It can take years for bamboo to fully air out and dry.

1 Like

But does it need to be fully aired and dried out?
After doing a little bit of reading it shouldn’t be harmful to use quick sterilization methods instead of longer methods. My thoughts were that airing it out once it was dead would let the fumes air out so when it was added to the enclosure it wouldn’t have a scent.
This is from 2010 but it should still be accurate.
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/day-geckos-phelsuma/45717-baking-bamboo.html

Edit: I also read that most bamboo takes 6-12 weeks to dry out. Maybe we’re thinking of different things. :man_shrugging:

Would definitely not be live, I know how quick it gets 15 feet tall(about 7 months for the one growing in my yard)

2 Likes