Any idea what the babies will look like?

These two beauties are expecting! Any ideas what the babies will look like? Light one is the mom and tangerine is the dad

2 Likes

Do you know what the morphs of the parents are? That is what will determine the morphs and appearances of the babies. I am VERY untrained with leo morphs but I see a normal and maybe a hypo? In which case I think you’d just get normals if hypo in leos is recessive like in several other species (Take this with a grain of salt).

Did you know the morphs of the parents prior to deciding to pair them?

1 Like

Looks like a normal and a super hypo albino. I wouldn’t be able to tell you what strain of albino though.

Albino is recessive. The Super Hypo is line bred. Without knowing what the grandparents looked like, the offspring will all be het albino and probably varying between normal and hypo on the amount of pattern and maybe high yellow on the coloring, but you can’t really know for sure. It’s kind of a luck of the draw really.

2 Likes

No I don’t know the morphs but they were both purchased from the same place.

1 Like

I do not mean this statement to come off as rude at ALL, but this pairing is going to produce some normal babies het for albinism, which will be very hard to find homes for, which is generally why knowing the genetics before pairing animals is recommended

3 Likes

Thank you, we’ve always donated the eggs to the reptile store here and ive never seen the babies or even known if they hatched because there was some miscommunication inside the store, this is the first time I’m incubating them at home. I’m excited to see new life

1 Like

No offense taken, we have a few families lined up from people we know if they do hatch (first time), we are not selling them just making sure we know who gets them to ensure they go to good homes

2 Likes

Amazing! Best of luck to you!

I just didn’t want you to be caught off guard with the market for certain morphs of reptiles and suddenly have to plan differently than you were expecting :heart:

1 Like

I get it and I admire your honesty. We are all prepped to store 6-10 babies for the first 1-3 months before letting them go to their perspective homes. I am definitely not doing this for money, more of an unexpected hobby for this breeding season but I am definitely keeping track as to not allow more eggs than I can handle

2 Likes

Fingers crossed for you! If the eggs hatch, we love pictures here, especially baby pictures!!

2 Likes

I’ll share for sure

2 Likes

Just remember, you don’t need to incubate all of the eggs. If you get overwhelmed or something comes up don’t feel pressured to incubate any that aren’t already in the incubator.

I am obviously talking about in the future but so many new people think that any eggs have to go straight in the incubator. Trust me, a 6 hour old egg won’t know the difference.

1 Like

Thank you, I am definitely guilty of this. I even set up a camera near her enclosure so I can catch them haha. I’m trying to calm myself

1 Like

any experience in breeding? I’m incubating at 85 degrees but I’m finding mixed info on approximate hatch days, I’m finding between 25 and 55 days which is a big window, can you narrow it down?

You’re probably going to be in the middle. Both in the sex of the offspring and the incubation time.

25 days is extremely fast. I don’t know if that’s correct. And that’s a risky temperature to incubate at if it is.
55-60 days is probably more correct for yours at that temp. If you do go lower to increase your chances for females, they will take longer for sure.

I can’t really say anything exact tho. I haven’t bred Leo’s in over a decade. @_@

3 Likes

I didn’t know leos were one of the reptiles where sex is at least partially determined by temp, like crocodilians, that’s super cool!

3 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty neat! Lower temps are mostly females, higher temps are mostly males. But if you go over 90 on incubation you can potentially end up with something called ‘hot females’ which are usually more aggressive than normal and iirc can be difficult to breed.

2 Likes

That is SO interesting, I wonder if the hot females things apply to crocs, sea turtles, etc.

2 Likes

Y’all! My girl has laid eggs again, third clutch this season, she has laid all three clutches exactly 13 days apart! That’s not even two weeks!!!

1 Like