Any tips for new owner

Why is it the cutest geckos are the most problematic lol

3 Likes

Ugh I know.
The 2 with humps and bumps are a stunning. Tangerine phantom pin Dal with red spots and all, and the most lush tangerine Quadstripe Dal! Gutted. But I know our friend will love them til the end! He loves taking in animals with something wrong, can’t say no :sweat_smile:
Plus he’s the one who took on our rescue boy with sever fts who’s now dropped his tail :blush:
Going to have a long spoilt life :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I just saw this thread, I don’t know what else to say. lol I think it’s all covered. Just, feel free to ask questions any time.

3 Likes

Agreed, we will try to answer any questions you might have.

Would love to see a pic of the Crestie to choose, when you have chosen of course.

3 Likes

Do you give them any supplements like Calcium? Also do they drink out of a bowl or they drink off of leaves like some other lizards

I use calcium d3 on gut loaded insects and dependant on what food I am using, I might occasional add it to the food but they is rarely as I use UV.

I use water bowls so the Cresties can decide where they want to drink throughout the night, but while I’m watching it’s usually off the plants. I’d definitely recommend a shallow water bowl, so they know they always have access to fresh water in one spot should they want it.

My Cresties food and water bowls are in the glass as I don’t like having them on the floor, due to bioactive enclosures

1 Like

Gotcha thanks for the reply, how do you hit load infects and do you use reptile specific d3 and if so what brand?

I use zoo med repti calcium with d3. To gut load insects - I keep and feed them food for approx 4 days before feeding them to my reptiles. The food the insects come with isn’t good enough.

2 Likes

As said use calcium in crickets, I put them into a cup and then pour some onto them. Repashy is a great one to use!
I feed the crickets veg and greens so they’re all fat and chunky every time I feed, they get fed every other day.
I don’t use a bowl, they all drink off the glass. We have misters set up to mist a few times a day :blush:

2 Likes

One thing to add, be prepared to feed mainly insects. My crested gecko will only eat insects and over ripe fruit, so I feed him a staple of crickets and supplement with fruit every once in a while. That being said, cresties are amazing creatures, and I love keeping them :grin:

1 Like

That is a good point, although I have the opposite problem, 2 of my Cresties (possibly 3) will not eat insects despite my effort. While some of my other Cresties would quite happily eat insects everyday, I just don’t allow them too or I fear they will stop eating the CGD!

2 Likes