Any ways to raise background humidity in my snake room other than humidifiers?

I am thinking of getting a humidifier to raise the background humidity a bit, but I would prefer other options.
I thought of plants or a fish tank. Would they do much?

Any other suggestions?
Or do I have to go down the humidifier path?

(The ball python tubs and tanks have enough humidity usually, but with the background fluctuating I cant keep as stable as I would like.
Also in some tubs i have two bowls to achieve the humidity levels which reduces the space for the snake.)

2 Likes

In theory a heated fish tank (HUGE, 100s or 1000s of gallons) would slightly increase the humidity, how big is your snake room?

2 Likes

I would say that background humidity isn’t much of a concern as long as it’s good in their enclosures. If it’s a real concern for you I’d recommend a regular spray misting routine, that would eliminate the need for 2 water bowls(which you shouldn’t really need anyway). I think too many keepers worry about keeping humidity too high all the time, I’ve had success for years around 50% regularly and only increasing during shed periods. With the obvious exception of certain species that need it higher, younger rainbows, bloods/short tails etc.

Besides that 2 cents I think a humidifier is your best option to increase a whole room, certainly over plants or fish tank. Unless you can fit a waterfall in your room. Lol

4 Likes

Thanks for the advise Guys :slight_smile: Im new to ball pythons.

@erie-herps my snake room (I love being able to say snake room again) is only about 8 foot by 16, not big enough for 1000 gallon fish tank. I am only looking for about another 5 to10% though.

@snaxxs
50% is a lot more manageable, I have been trying to get 55 t0 65% and yes I would always spray at shedding time to get to 70% + (is that right?). Haven’t had any problems with sheds so far.

:rofl:

2 Likes

The thing is with humidity too high can actually be more detrimental, RI’s, mold, scale rot, water blisters. To low is more easily corrected and worse case on a bad shed give a good soak and problem solved.

Of course this is for BPs and most species, some definitely do need higher humidity more regularly.

4 Likes

Thanks, snaxxs, don’t want to go down the route of scale rot or RIs for my ball pythons.
I didn’t know about the balance of lower is better than too high for ball pythons.
And like you said, shedding can always be dealt with with a good regular spray.
Yea, for those types that need more humidity like red tailed rat snakes or rainbow boas I usually go for a glass enclosure anyway that holds humility better.

2 Likes

I’m racks for most and visions/boaphiles for my larger or more humidity species. Glass is a nice display but too heavy and inconvenient for the size of my collection.

1 Like

Suggestion: move to the south. It’s currently 65% humidity in my apartment, and that’s with a small dehumidifier running. You’ll never need to mist or use a humid hide ever again

4 Likes

Agreed. Yes I use racks too for most of mine in my snake room. The ball pythons particularly seem to thrive in them.
But for a few others, I have a couple of display tanks in my lounge.

lol, my brother emigrated years ago and lives in south carolina, he doesn’t need to keep snakes, plenty in his barn.
I am in the South, but of of England. Not quite the same thing. But If I could i would probably emigrate too and follow my baby brother. You guys are lucky, we only have 3 types of snake in the UK. (two of which are protected and the other slimes like a skunk and defecates on you)
And bedsides my new royal pythons, by far, most of my previous snakes were American snakes.

2 Likes

LOL :joy: 70% or higher all year around in south Florida

1 Like

I have a 250 liter SW fish tank. At 78F it evaporates ~5 gallons of water every week. Even more in dry months. I keep the hood closed, too. Evaporation might be even more w/o a lid… In a small room, that has to help w humidity. The math says that tank is about 65 gallons, not small but certainly not 100s of gallons. Fair warning, the eye candy might compete w your other scaly critters!

4 Likes

Super nice corals! Love the zoanthids(my personal favorite)

2 Likes

It does compeat. Always wanted a set up like that. Do you use UV to get some of those colours?
I don’t need much more humidity according to some of the posts, I could well consider this,

1 Like

That pic is under T5s. I had an LED light strip that offered even more UV, and the colors were, uh, trippy! But, the LEDs never lasted long under the hood. And, that got quite expensive! Corals need more than UV to grow well, so out of six bulbs, I might have one or two UV lights at any one time.

1 Like

Yup, I have more trouble trying to keep humidity down. Semi coastal SC, average humidity with running a dehumidifier is over 55%

1 Like

I live in Wisconsin and we are very dry during the winter. It was hard to keep the humidity in the tubs because the room was taking it from them. We would hang a damp towel in our room for a little added humidity. Since the season is changing we are back to just the regular routine of misting the tubs.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea for the dry months, I could even hang some laundry in the snake room to dry.

2 Likes