Anyone know what these are?

I rescue frogs from my workplace, a truck stop, every year to release in a pond near my apartments. But I’ve never known what they are. My record in one night a couple of years ago was 20. Anyone wanna try and help me figure out what they are?

1 Like

A location would help but in all likelihood it is just a green frog, Lithobates clamitans

@t_h_wyman I live in North Texas. Plains/Desert area with cold cold winters and hardly any rain outside of spring.

Okay, given the location I re-evaluate to bullfrog, Lithobates catesbeianus

Greens are only in the east end of your state

1 Like

@t_h_wyman I was thinking Bullfrog also just didn’t think with us being so arid they’d be around.

Eh… Bulls are like cockroaches, any slightly suitable habitat and they will settle in

2 Likes

Although i am not as knowledgeable about amphibians as @t_h_wyman i do think they are bull frogs because in the first pic it is fairly obvious that it is a male as far as i know because of its large ear membrane. And it is true that bullfrogs are like cockroaches because they are extremely hardy compared to many many other frog species so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were indeed bullfrogs or a similar species.

1 Like

Hard to tell the difference between green and bullfrogs without a good clear picture, but probably bullfrogs. Extremely high population frogs that eat everything they fit in their mouth. Me and my dad hunt them each season and there are hundreds of them along the rivers edge. No real need to rescue them honestly, given just how many of them are out there and the fact that their populations are increasing. They also eat endangered species of multiple animals (fish, other frogs, salamanders, baby turtles, rodents, birds, and snakes to name a few) given the chance.

@ashleyraeanne Culling them when they are a problem at a pond, park, ect is one thing but the slow death of absorbing diesel, oil, and God knows what else seems cruel. I’d much rather just take them to any one of the number of cow ponds nearby since we are in cow country.

So long as it isn’t a pond with an established ecosystem that doesn’t have frogs already in it, then it should be fine to do. Just be careful not to release them somewhere that doesn’t have enough larger predators to keep them in check because then you get a population boom that can kill the ecosystem in and around the pond. Well, the ecosystem besides the thousand of babies that a few frogs can produce and the many adults they will turn into. If you can take them to a river that would be better. No shortage of large bass that love frogs in most rivers. Birds that also feed off of them as well as snakes will likely be at the rivers too. It also gives the frogs more food in the form of baby bass too.

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne Oh no worries there. Where I usually let them go is indeed an established stream or pond where I’ve seen turtles and snakes. Dunno about big fish but plenty of smaller ones that would devour tadpoles. Sometimes I have to let them go in temporary flood pools.