Are bamboo/cork bark tubes safe?

I was wondering what peoples experiences were with using bamboo tubes or cork bark tubes. I’m setting up a couple new bioactive enclosures and I’m wondering if it’s safe to use bamboo and/or cork bark tubes as hides and decorations. The two animals I’m wondering about are day geckos and crocodile skinks but if anybody has experience with any other reptiles I’d love to hear it. Do you think they’re okay if I left them open or would they get stuck in them? If I close them what would be the best way to cover the ends and have it still look natural?

1 Like

I have cork tubes in almost every enclosure the snakes love them and use them to help with shedding alot. Only issue is they dont put up well to sterilizing by heat. I grow out a lot of babies and im huge on sterilizing via oven in between use for different animals and each time they come out they seem to be a little more pliable or fragile. maybe not the advice you were looking for with your lizards but something worth noting

4 Likes

Are the tubes that you used for snakes close to their width, as in is there a possibility that they could get stuck? Or did you make sure that they were much wider so even after they ate they could fit? It seems that the cork tubes aren’t super strong to begin with, so I’ll keep that in mind for when I use them. Any information helps. :+1:

Oh very wide compared to each snake basically they are snug if they are coiled inside but nothing close to snug if they are just passing through. I will tell you though make sure its short enough to where you can put your finger/hand at least 3/4 through other wise you will not get those snakes out if you need to and they decide “NO” lol

2 Likes

A lot of people use the bamboo for days as they lay in them and easy to remove etc.
We actually don’t use them, as ours would lay on the bromeliads instead so was no point! Just a very well planted tank and they’re happy! :blush:

1 Like

I obtained a huge piece of cork, but I don’t want my Cresties going inside it as they might hide for days so I put some plants inside some of the holes, it’s a working progress, but I’ve added a pic so you can see. I’m aiming to hide the visable plant pot, but when plant grows it shouldn’t be visable anyway.

I’ve seen people use bamboo and things attending upright as food pots too

2 Likes

We have cork tubs in a few of ours. I blocked out one of them on the viv I did as didn’t want my girls sleeping inside and not seeing them also.
But the ones my other half did he left, so spike sleeps in his and you only see him at night.
And the girl viv he did also Rose sometimes goes inside too.
Pain but they do like it :blush:

3 Likes

I have a piece of bamboo inside Kai’s enclosure. His tank is 4’ x 2’ x 15” so the bamboo is pretty long.

I have no issues with bending because it is also pretty thick (pic of thickness below)

As for cork, I bought a giant cork tube and cut it to make a hide for Kai. For me personally it works amazing because it fits my aesthetic of wood and deep jungle. And also before buying it I made sure that the section I was going to use was thick enough that if he was to lay completely on it it would not give way. No I’ll probably get a PVC hide from the brand that mortikai used for his tanks. They look really solid and well-made.

3 Likes

Tbh most my Cresties prefer a coconut or a hanging plant to sleep in.

The bamboo and cork are great for jumping and climbing though, which my Cresties LOVE to do

2 Likes

I use cork bark tubes and flats in all of my enclosures, never had a problem.

3 Likes

I use both, have for years (decades) and have never had an issue with either. Only potential problems can be the cut lines on cork tubes, which I have heard others claim can act as a pinch point for trapping a tail resulting in the gecko/lizard dropping. But I have never encountered that situation myself

3 Likes

I think wide small tubes will be fine, just depends how long you want them I suppose

2 Likes