Are Mahogany and Stranger the same?

Sooooooo I just watched BHB latest video where he visits Wilbanks facility and they mention that Wilbanks thinks Mahogany and Stranger could be the same. Like can you imagine if people have been out there paying tens of thousands for stranger only to later find out its the same or at least very similar to mahogany? lol I mean I hate to laugh but damn that would be something. This is exactly why I dont think I will ever take that jump of spending ridiculous amounts of money on “new” genes. Ill stick to things that I just think work well together that are relatively affordable lol. Leave all that other stuff to the big boys. So has anyone else heard this chatter or have similar thoughts? I started looking at some single gene examples and can see some that look similar but also see others where they def look like two completely different genes. Thoughts?

7 Likes

Stranger is on Matts watchlist as being in the mahogany complex, but as we haven’t seen a Super-Stranger yet (that I know of or can find) it is going to be hard to make a judgement.

I’m not questioning @mikewilbanks at all, who am I too do that, but until I see a Suma produced from a Stranger × Stranger/Mahogany pairing I will be sceptical… Again my scepticism isn’t worth much.

I’m off to watch the video and see what his thoughts are.

2 Likes

Cinder is also likely allelic to Mahogany, something even the originator of Cinder admits, and those still sell for three to four times as much as Mahogany. It is the “new gene” phenomenon: rarity causes demand causes higher prices. If someone pairs Stranger x Mahogany and makes a SuMa-type animal then I am sure we will see a price correction but Stranger will still probably be more in the Cinder bracket than dropping all the way down to Mahogany bracket

6 Likes

I 100% agree with you as far as not spending ridiculous amounts of money on “new” genes. I found this post from my own research because I have a few Mahogany that look like the stranger. I was just feeding my collection, when one of my little Mahogany babies was curled a certain way that I noticed something strange ( no pun intended I swear), reminded me of the stranger gene, so I hopped on MorphMarket to compare, and I gotta be honest, this could be the same, I said COULD BE before the technicality police come for my neck. Sure would be crazy if it were.

1 Like
5 Likes

@t_h_wyman made the point on Kinova’s Ig post that we still know no more than we knew before this pairing, and I agree. The Enchi BlkPastel thing kind of turned our idea of being able to visually identify alleles on it’s head. Enchi looks nothing like any other gene in it’s allelic complex. As Travis pointed out, just because that animal isn’t a SuMa doesn’t mean the two aren’t allelic. We need to see what happens next still.

4 Likes

I would backdate it to Blackhead and Spider being the first clear indication that alleles do not have to be self-same.

I would also say that Justin is very careful in his wording but people are not paying close enough attention to that. While he says the morphs are not the same, as perspective, I could say the exact same thing with regard to Bamboo and Butter. Justin never actually says they are not allelic, it is just that the vast majority of people in his audience jumped to that conclusion, which is why I made my comment on his IG post

7 Likes

I always forget about blackhead spider…

Butter and Bamboo is an excellent example relative to these two genes. Some minor similarities but hets are still quite different visually, despite being allelic.

Only time will tell, I’m just glad I don’t have a financial stake in the project lol.

2 Likes