Are red footed tortoise good for an apartment?

Hi, I’m researching about red-footed tortoises because that is the reptile I want to own I know they are a tropical species that need high humidity and are omnivores and that they are a medium size tortoises I want to know if I can keep one in an apartment starting off with a baby or juvenile and when I move to a house make an outdoor enclosure for him.

1 Like

Yea you can, a lot of breeders keep indoors, you’ll need heat and uv also.

Also if going outside, again, you’ll need to use a heat lamp as they need it hotter.

I was speaking to a breeder back along and she wasn’t willing to sell one if going outside, even with the heat lamps etc!
Which was fair enough :relaxed:
We have a Herman’s and a Sulcata now, outside with heat lamp too, will be upgraded again soon to a bigger enclosure again.
as long as you can provide heat etc too then no reason not to be able too.
(Obviously depending where you are too, as you may live somewhere hot already!)

3 Likes

I can’t see why not! As ghoulishcresties stated, you will just need to make sure to supply the right amount of space, higher temperatures (with gradient), humidity, etc. and it should totally go fine!
Good luck on your tortoise!

1 Like

I don’t recommend it because are you positive that by the time it needs an outdoor enclosure you will be in a house? I think it’s better to have the adult area designated before you get the tortoise. Red-foot tortoises need a lot more space than what most people give them so do you have space for an 6’ or 8’ enclosure for it as it grows up?

5 Likes

I know I made this topic before but I wanted more peoples opinions on it I’m researching about red-footed tortoises because that is the reptile I want to own I know they are a tropical species that need high humidity and are omnivores and that they are a medium size tortoises I want to know if I can keep one in an apartment starting off with a baby or juvenile and when I move to a house make an outdoor enclosure for him.

1 Like

As said above^
But this will give a boost to the top anyway now so maybe some other people will comment.
But everything I and others have said so far :grin:

1 Like

You just need to make sure heat, uv and humidity is perfect for them, and obviously the environment.

If outside and it gets too cold where you are it’s not good for them, so you’ll need heat outside also, obviously uv from the sun. And humidity make sure stays what it should be.

As said though, maybe wait til you move, get everything perfect and then when the set up is ready and complete look for your baby :relaxed:

2 Likes

thank you :heart: :smile:

2 Likes

Yep, I guess I am a little late to the party as this somehow slipped under my notice again. :slight_smile: I pretty much attest to everything everyone has said. There are multiple ways to keeping animals, but of course there are some wrong ways. As long as you find yourself on the side of keeping it correctly you will have a perfectly happy tortoise. :slight_smile:

Best of luck with your tortoise!

1 Like

thank you :smile: :heart:

1 Like

I think it would be fine. Not exactly ideal, but it could be done. If you are gonna do an outdoor enclosure down the line, then I’d say go for it. I can recommend the open top habitats from toad ranch reptiles as a good indoor tortoise enclosure. Just make sure you have deep substrate, lots of coverage and good levels of humidity, along with adequate uvb and heating. To manage that, I think you could custom build stands to put around the enclosure. I would also get a uv meter and a thermometer gun to make sure the temps are perfect. If all that is done, I feel like you could have yourself one happy tortoise. :grin:

2 Likes

thank you :heart:

This thread may interest you.

1 Like

thank you im going to check it out :grinning:

2 Likes

Keep in mind that if you don’t have a house by then or if you move somewhere where the adult tortoise will need to be inside in the winter you’re going to need at least an 8’x4’ enclosure, they need a lot of space.

1 Like

Unless they’re a tiny baby :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They don’t stay a tiny baby for long. :rofl:

2 Likes

And then they are around for a long time lol :joy:

2 Likes

Oh gosh… I’m not looking forward to the Sulcata growing I won’t lie :joy:

2 Likes

That’s really where the indoor tortoise situation isn’t ideal, that species gets HUGE and can potentially destroy parts of your home just roaming around, and they get much too large to be kept indoors long term. As far as Red Foot tortoises go, they’re one of the smaller species of tortoise. Some locales such as the Cherryheads tend to be much smaller yet, around 8-14" as mature sized adults, and it takes several years for them to reach this size.

3 Likes