Are these morphs worth getting potentially murdered for? (AKA craigslist finds)

That’s great! Lines up with my point that’s verifying the important info not just a morph and price. Not against all bargains.

Yeah you can definitely make some cash flipping! Buy cheap, sell higher. If you can churn out a clutch in a few months what a bonus -_-

2 Likes

My advise as petite woman who has gotten a few things on CL. I would go for this deal but I would meet during the day in a bank parking lot. Preferably one that has security visible. Best option is to bring a friend to wait in the car.

2 Likes

I look at various categories on Craigslist nearly every day (usually multiple times daily), and advise lots of caution.
Even if the seller isn’t a robber/murderer/etc., they are advertising on a site known for cheap sales. Also, if they’re using Craigslist, they are often in need of quick cash. Often (in my experience), that means the animal has suffered - through poor housing, missed feedings, lack of knowledge about the animal’s needs, and sometimes has been actively neglected. Many times the seller offers vague answers to questions, or the story changes multiple times.
Personally, that nearly enrages me, as I have always valued honesty (not that I haven’t told “white lies” or not blatantly admitted all guilt), and make a point not to misrepresent myself or my animals (or items I’ve sold).
I have “rehomed” plenty of animals from Craigslist, and many weren’t all that inexpensive, but even one lost animal is a tragedy.
Reptiles can seem fine and then months later the results of their previous neglect come calling. It’s a horrible thing to open a cage or tub to check on a pet and find it lifeless.
I have all but resolved to only buy from quality breeders from now on.

1 Like

I always advise using caution, but it could be that some breeders are just starting off and don’t feel comfortable shipping especially with the pandemic. Craigslist is really the only way to sell locally without shipping.

3 Likes

Which could be both a reason to consider buying on craiglist as much as it is a reason not to buy. Personally if I could afford to, I would offer fair market value for every sick/underweight/poorly housed ball python on craiglist. I love the rescue and rehabilitation side of animal husbandry as much as the breeding side, and find it really rewarding to take in neglected animals and see them recover to their full potential. However it’s definitely not for everyone, and I’d argue that ball python shopping on Craigslist certainly isn’t a beginners game as it can easily go wrong.

I think buying quality breeding stock from reputable breeders is so important to build your projects on, and especially for someone who is starting out with ball pythons, a well started healthy animal is going to make your life so much easier. However, as someone who’s had ball pythons for eight years now and even more years with general animal husbandry/veterinary background (grew up on a small farm, in 4-H, etc), I don’t mind diverting some of my attention/funds to scooping up the occasional craigslist challenge.

My favorite ball python that I’ve ever owned was this cutie (Kahlua) that I got for $50 on Craigslist.

I ended up having to rehome him during a chaotic move where I couldn’t keep my ball pythons, but he was an absolute treasure. Pictures don’t do him justice, he was a really striking caramel and cream color, and an absolute sweetheart

And although not a snake, my best Craigslist find is still this boy for $200…

3 Likes

I’ve never shared this before but my boy as well is a craigslist find. Got him from a sketchier neighborhood where I am almost positive the previous owner was training him for dog fights because he was extremely aggressive at 3 months when I got him and the guys other dogs have their ears cropped and scars all over their face and body. And whether people on here dont like that I got my dog off Craigslist just answer me this. How could you not want to bring this face home?

14 Likes

Gonna jump on the Craigslist deals train, but I recently had this one pop up:

I messaged the guy and he said he was asking $300 for everything. Comes with a rack, some f/t rats, and the two snakes.
While I’m not too keen on the blood python (and will likely rehome her) the male did catch my eye since he’s listed as a sandblast pewter. Could work well with my pied projects in the future, once I make sure he’s healthy of course.

Do ya’ll think that would be worth it?

2 Likes

Even if the animals may be a little rough around the edges personality and health wise 300 isn’t bad at all with everything included. If the animals seem healthy I say go fo or it.

3 Likes

@trnreptiles I think it could be worth it, do they have any information on the original breeders of the snakes, such as proof that the male is a sandblast pewter?

@nathan_e Your dog is such a cutie, glad you were able to get him! My boy was already 2.5 years and his owner was a single mom that had just been diagnosed with cancer, was in way over her head and couldn’t keep him so she just wanted someone to give him a good home. He’s been my best friend ever since

5 Likes

Reviving an old thread, but i’ve managed to get a few great deals on quality animals on craigslist.
One being a killer pied male that i bought for a steal of $200. The owner had him listed as an albino… drove about an hour and a half to meet them. He proved out this past season
the other being a 3k gram cinnamon female never been bread, provided me with 8 eggs last year, and then another female, bamboo pin that is being paired right now for this season. I got these two for $350.

just gotta be careful and consider what you’re doing. I still agree with other posts that you should consider plans when buying snakes, but sometimes you can find great deals that fit in with your plans. Some breeders even sell on CL.

5 Likes

@ashleyraeanne Now I have to watch Demolition Man again, hahaha.

1 Like

I got these two seniors for free from Craigslist a few months later after my senior chihuahuas died of old age from a couple who had just had a daughter and she was allergic to dogs. They were both ten years old when I got them and I still have the full blood chihuahua male, Chico! He’s about 12 or 13 now.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is this really a Purple Passion Enchi?