Are these okeetee or normals?

I’m buying these 2 corn snakes but the person I’m buying them from isn’t too sure if they are normals or okeetees.

If anybody could help thanks.

7 Likes

So genetically speaking, okeetees are normals. Over the years, they’ve been line bred to have thick black borders. Neither of these, in my opinion, would qualify as an okeetee phase. However, they could possibly be pure locality okeetees (as in corns collected from the okeetee hunt club). I would clarify with the seller whether they’re supposed to be okeetee phase or locality. Unfortunately, a lot of sellers list every normal as an okeetee, either through ignorance or in an unscrupulous attempt to sell them for more money.

4 Likes

The beeder said both that one of the parents were okeetee. I’ve bough from him before so I was offered both of these for £30 but besides that he didn’t know much because they have been at his mum’s house and she wanted to get rid of most of them.

1 Like

Ah, okay, if one parent was an okeetee, it makes sense that they don’t really appear to be okeetees themselves. Since it’s a line bred trait, the only way to reliably pass it on is to breed an okeetee with another okeetee. If only one parent is an okeetee, then the babies will typically look in between an okeetee and a normal.

£30 for two adult corns, regardless of morph, is still a good deal!

3 Likes

Yea he pretty much offered me most of the adult corns he had with their enclosures. In total he’s offered me 5 adult corn snakes with their enclosures and the heating for £210.

1 Like

Excellent deal! (But only if you actually want them!)

3 Likes

I’m planning on starting breeding next year so it would be an excellent boost. I believe I know the morphs of the rest of them I could send some pictures if you like?

2 Likes

For sure. You send them privately or just post them here. I’m happy to take a look.

3 Likes

And I am sure that everyone else would love to see them too :relaxed:

3 Likes

This one is charcoal

This one is snow

And this one looks like an amel in shed

2 Likes

Congratulations on your new snakes! Those IDs look to be accurate. It’s nice to get a group of adults if you’re planning to start breeding next year. Certainly speeds plans along. Do you have any info about their age and/or hets? Have any been bred before? Not anything really worrisome, but they look like they will benefit from some additional groceries.

2 Likes

I’m getting them on the 17th September. The person who has them believes they are around 5-8 years old. Not too sure about hets and it will be my first time breeding so I’m very excited. I’ve already got a normal, amel, and a fire pied who’s het for anery.

1 Like

You’re building up a nice collection. :+1: now that you’ve mentioned the ones you already have, you’re going to need to pay their pics, too. We levy a picture tax. :grin:

You probably already know this but in case other readers may not, be sure to inspect all new arrivals thoroughly for external parasites and quarantine them for a time to evaluate health. 90 days is a decent amount of time, though you’ll see different things recommended.

1 Like

Ok thanks. I’ll make sure to send the pictures later.

1 Like

This is my normal she’s in shed at them moment

This is my amel

And this is my fire pied

4 Likes

Very nice! I always appreciate the faded colors when they’re in shed. Your Amel’s portrait is sweet. And your fire piedsided is very bright and pretty. :heart:

1 Like

Thanks but I’m not sure what pairings I should do yet?

Does the seller know any of the hets?

1 Like

I’m not sure all he’s said is that they were his from ages ago and now they are at his mum’s house and she doesn’t want them.

1 Like

Do you know who is which sex?

2 Likes