Are Warnings about New Sellers Fair?

To the people worried about reputation… take care of your customers and be a descent human being and your rep will come. Trust me it doesnt happen overnight. People will take a chance on you without rep at all and thats when its time to shine. Patience young grasshoppas. :blush:

7 Likes

^ this 100% ^

1 Like

If its a new seller, its the buyers job to do a little more research on him/her. If you get duped, its all on you. But know that crying about it on forums won’t solve nothing. I leave reviews of sellers, but I never read anybody else’s. Most people just whine if one little thing goes wrong that could’ve happened to an old seller too, but this one is new, so they bad mouth him. I’m going to make my own decision, and it won’t be based on anybody’s reviews. Everybody started out new, at one time, so why is everyone suddenly jumping on the new seller warning bandwagon.

I have a question. So I do not yet have a membership. But I have sold 5 snakes on MM all last year and before the ability to rate your experience was available. So if I now go and get a membership do I still get stuck with that warning even though I have had a seller page on the site for over a year and already have sales on the site? That would deter me from getting a membership especially since it would essentially be rendering useless my previous sales on here and with not having the benefit of feedback from my buyers since that wasnt an option at the time.

I am guessing you used the free membership option and now you are considering a paid membership.

@john can correct me if I am wrong but if you were selling on MM then you already have a membership so you would not be a “new” seller

1 Like

@otorresusmc @t_h_wyman is right. Changing membership levels doesn’t affect the newness of an account at all. That’s affected by when they first started selling, so sounds like a non-issue for you.

Also, this warning we’re discussing has no relationship to ratings system. However, by the time a seller makes a sale and gets a rating, it’s likely that at least several weeks have pass if not more – and by that time, this warning almost or already gone.

1 Like

Hello I can see how that clause would be daunting, however if you have a following why not have a link on your profile/website? I am sure if people are happy with their experience with you then other people can see that feed.

That being said my wife and I are just starting out from scratch have no clientele and we have yet to produce our first clutch. That being said our way of showing we are active would be youtube videos maybe when we get to it show how we pack our animals for a safe transport, our animal husbandry, passion for the hobby, and answering any questions. Just research just like the vet tech field we came from one never just stop so learning. Do these things and I am sure people will take a chance :). I can completely understand why morph market puts that disclaimer it’s for them as well as the buyer.

@scottysplace I agree and I am not a breeder. I saw two snakes one from a new member breeder and one established and well known breeder. Newer member had that banner and it did deter me a bit! So went and inquired on the snake from the known breeder here and etc! I was out right ignored when I inquired to purchase, even Sent followed thinking hey corona virus, a glitch maybeeee??? Saw snakes still selling though? Known Breeder had Good response time? Still heard Nuttin! Then, I saw that the snake was sold, two weeks later, from time of my inquiry! I missed Out on the snake from the new member breeder as well! So honestly, long story short, the banner did deter!

3 Likes

That is a bummer but honestly in many respects it’s up to the buyer to take that risk. Yes they are new but why not give it a shot of they don’t respond well nothing ventured nothing gained. Ask questions to see if they know their stuff and ask for more images of the animal…better yet see if you can get a video. Sure these are not all full proof buta good thing to remember at some point or some time we all started with zero reviews/backing it just takes that one person :). If a bad experience is had with said new person you can leave a review stating said experience which would hurt them quite a bit I would imagine. As my father use to tell me “don’t knock it until you try it.”

1 Like

@seanziggs11

You’re being foolish. You will double or triple your sales by selling on the platform.

5 Likes

Completely agree. I sell way more animals off of morphmarket than i do my website.

4 Likes

I think it’s completely fair give a fair heads up hey this person hasn’t been on this selling platform yet or for very long we don’t have and proof of credibility. What i think is completely unfair is sellers being able to hide their reviews i think that is shady and sets up buyers and protects fraudulent terrible sellers like the experience I had with blank where he took my money then gave me the run around then claimed to of dropped snakes off and printed a label just to give me tracking number but would never provide actual proof of dropping them off label never got scanned, and he absolutely refused to go back to the fedex hub to check on the well beings of the animals. (Label to this day has never been scanned for a week now) That kind of stuff needs to be visible to other buyers so they don’t have to go through the same thing. I saw he had his reviews turned off so I asked around got the oh yeah he’s been around a long time I haven’t had any problems but then after I start going through stuff like what I did I dug deeper guess what I found several people same problem as me same excuses. Same lack of communication animals that hadn’t proved out, sick and dehydrated animals but a seller like this gets to hide behind a system that the reviews can be an option and continue completely safe.

2 Likes

Seems like a reminder is in order here for any additional info contact please contact the the staff via PM

Guidelines

No ratings or reviews about buyers or sellers. This includes “unboxing” type posts which inevitably include either promotional or review type content. Those involved in transactions can use the MorphMarket Rating system or should use the Facebook FBI forum.

I agree honestly. Hiding reviews is a very poor design choice and shouldn’t be allowed. As buyers we depend on being able to both submit and see reviews of sellers to protect ourselves and others, but if we can’t see reviews, we are basically walking into the ocean blindfolded.

Seller warnings are fair though, as they go away after a month. A seller could set up a shop for a month and not post any listings and not have to deal with the warning.

2 Likes

Are people able to hide reviews currently on MM?

That’s wack.

It’s not that wack if you can just have reviews on or off as a whole I guess. That would be a little bit of a red flag but if it tells you at least you know.

What would be really wack is if they can just pick and choose certain reviews to hide. I mean almost every store I look at has 100% positive reviews so…idk man. That’d be pretty wack.

I just wanted to say wack 4x. I assume this is not the case. If someone just wants all reviews turned off I guess that’s their choice I can respect that. Even if it’s going to make me a little more wary of dealing with them.

1 Like

Opting Out

Sellers may opt to not have their ratings shown publicly. This is an all-or-nothing decision which can be toggled under the Seller’s Profile. Opted-out stores will show a message indicating that their reviews have been hidden.

Buyers are still allowed to create ratings for sellers who are opted-out, but they will not be public. MorphMarket will still use these ratings to monitor performance, and if any seller’s scores falls below a certain point they may lose selling privileges.

Ratings left by opted out sellers will be reserved and not publicly displayed

3 Likes

If it’s all or nothing that seems fair. Some people don’t like being reviewed.

Actually we do much more than this. If there is fraud, that should be reported directly to MorphMarket support. When we determine fraud is occurring, we just ban the seller – we don’t leave them in our marketplace with or without ratings.

Second, I wouldn’t personally buy from a seller that hides their ratings, but that’s up to you. It’s a big red flag.

Third, we still collect ratings on those sellers (with hidden ratings), and if they receive consistently bad ratings, we’ll suspend them as well.

This thread has gotten long – solicited a lot of opinions and back and forth too – but also a bit off topic, so I’m going to freeze it, and we can related things in other topics.

6 Likes