Arroyo gene Het Rios. Is Rios a recessive gene?

I have a very small arroyo project going on. I’m recently starting to here that it’s actually a recessive gene and not incomplete dominant.Like the paint and sentinel gene. I was wondering if any one on here can confirm this or has heard the same thing.

4 Likes

Here are some videos dan wolfe did on the arroyo and rio as you probably know he is the originator of the gene and did a series of videos going over arroyo and rio. hope this helps you figure some things out.

this one goes over rio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSubcLxWTGc

2 Likes

Here is another. he explains it as co dom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tZ7SSc8iG8

2 Likes

@wreckroomsnakes Thank you very much! I will check these out for sure.

1 Like

Arroyo is an inc-dom gene, it is just a bit subtle in some animals and combos

2 Likes

@t_h_wyman That’s what I always believed as well. But that was also said about paint. I was just curious if anyone else had heard about it being recessive. I still think arroyo is incomplete dominant but was just wanting others opinions. I’m actually glad to hear people saying it is inc dominant lol. Thanks!

Paint (Sentinel/Neo/Nazca) I think may fall into the realm of the ultra-subtle inc-doms - there is a phenotype, but unless you know exactly what you are looking for, it is really easy to miss it.

Arroyo however, at least to my eye, has never been subtle. It has a distinct “harlequin” phenotype. It can be a bit harder to pick out in some combos, but it is still there :+1:t4:

1 Like

that should read ultra uber completely not there subtle :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
one scale being a different color or “smudge here” doesn’t make it a trait/marker (which was how someone explained to me they were picking out paints YEARS ago)

1 Like

@wreckroomsnakes I love the paint gene but never got into it because I seriously doubt my ability to pick out hatchlings carrying it. It has to be an absolute nightmare lol.

:rofl: Fully agree! That’s why you have to use a visual (super) paint you can not guarantee it carries the gene.

1 Like

Totally agree! I try to always use a super on more subtle morphs!

I hear what you are driving at Mary, but at the same time the first SuperNazca came from a “granite” x Enchi “granite” pairing and it turned out that the “granite” was actually Nazca and Jon had been picking those out in its nascent form as a dinker project. So obviously he saw something there to determine it was heritable in the first place.

@t_h_wyman Ok now I’m a little confused lol. What is the nazca gene? It’s on world of ball pythons but has no picture. Is it a line of paint?

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cache2.php?img=http://www.coldbloodedaddiction.com/images/collection/ballpythons/supernazca/final/001.jpg
Nazca was thought to be another line of paint/sentinel that jon courtney produced. But no real work was be done as far as i know to prove it out as being compatible.

2 Likes

As Mary noted, Nazca was another line of Paint (RDR has/had a line that he called Neo and Mark Haas had a line that he called… Speckle, or something like that I think…)

I think I recall someone somewhere proving Nazca compatible to Paint, wish I could remember where. Limey proved Paint compatible to Sentinel I do remember that

2 Likes

This is a difficult one, to me is inc dom because it’s easy to spot in most combos. There are a few that are virtually impossible to spot, like Arroyo Cinnamon.

However saying that, because it’s not always obvious I year out as recessive, in that I always try and use Rios where possible. And it’s the Rio combos I aim to hit

I’ve only hatched two arroyo clutches. But both were to yellowbelly complex super males(puma and highway) Both were to the same female who is super pastel arroyo. So In both clutches they were all either pastel yellowbelly complex or pastel yellowbelly complex arroyo. I personally found in this combo the arroyo versions were easy to spot.

On a related side note I have hatched a grand total of zero arroyo males. Rios seems like a pipe dream to me at this point lol.

1 Like