ASF Breeding

Well, it took a little longer for them to start breeding, but now we’re really moving. Now have three colonies (because there was a lone female in my big bin of grow out males, so saved her and the friendliest male). I will be replacing one of my original males, as he’s pretty aggressive, but he gets the job done (his colony are on their second set of litters)

2 Likes

No, they do not have a cooling down period.

Same happened to mine. They ate all the babies and the litters were like 3 and 4 babies. They’ve been breeding together for about 6 months. I know they’re time is coming. Starting to save some grow outs for my next colonies. It’s also the winter here in Chicago. I wonder if that affects anything.

1 Like

Ours stop or slow down breeding at similar time of year every year, that’s why I was wondering :woman_shrugging:

Ours are still going strong. We’re up to 8 breeding colonies, a bachelor tub and a communal group tub for wears. Didn’t really notice much of a slowdown for winter, maybe a little?:man_shrugging:

We’ve had a couple produce some, but not many.

It has been quite cold here in UK, although it’s not cold in there! I have the same thing with our mice.

Hi guys, sorry late to the party. Some awesome tips in this thread, thank you!!!

Been breeding ASFs for over a year now, and in regards to the slow breeding issue around winter (I’m in the UK it’s always cold :joy:) I have a trick that seems to work with mine. (I tested it out on 6 colonies and it worked a treat while the other 4, which were not tested were still on a slow down.)

I get a strip of thick cardboard, bend it and bury it in their bedding (farm grade wood shavings) to make a cave. They live in burrows in the wild so I assumed that recreating this might help.

I make sure I pack the the cave so it’s pretty solid and firm. I put in shredded news paper, toilet rolls for tunnels and sometimes tissue.

They LOVE it and seems everytime I clean them out there is a mass of babies in the cave!!! When I don’t do it there isn’t as many or there is fighting. They get stressed out.

Hope that helps guys. Any questions let me know x

4 Likes

Thanks for the input.

I never thought of burying the tunnels :+1:

3 Likes