ASF Breeding

Was wondering what everyone’s setup looks like that don’t use a racking system. Thinking about breeding my own for my small collection of BPs and trying to get some ideas.

2 Likes

Not sure what setups are like, but just be sure they aren’t illegal where you are. I know they were banned in some states. Due to the possibility of them becoming invasive.

1 Like

I live in Florida so they are not illegal. One reptile store I know of nearby sells them, and there are people on craigslist and facebook groups that sell starter colonies. I’m just trying to get a better idea what I can use instead of a racking system since I am wanting to keep it small scale to feeding just my BPs. I live in an apartment, so not much space to work with.

2 Likes

Just use tanks. Or hamster cages. Make sure the spaces between the bars are small like 1/4" spacing or they can get out. I bought this one from Amazon for my rats and the spacing is very good Brand: Ferplast

4.5 out of 5 stars 3,129Reviews

Favola Hamster Cage | Includes Free Water Bottle, Exercise Wheel, Food Dish & Hamster Hide-Out | Large Hamster Cage Measures 23.6L x 14.4W x 11.8H-Inches & Includes 1-Year Manufacturer’s Warranty

2 Likes

I originally started mine using standard rodent breeding tubs and a plastic shelf system from home depot. Fairly inexpensive and worked great. Stay away from glass tanks as they have terrible ventilation. Be sure to have a good source for food and spring water set up as well as they will go through alot of both. I also recommend getting a good idea of how many you will need for your animals as they have a slower grow rate then common rats. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

2 Likes

I have a 20 gal tank I keep rats in. I have a male in it right now. I have a thick mesh metal top on it. Gets plenty of ventilation. Chew proof. Lol!

1 Like

There perfectly fine for an animal or 2.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. My main concerns are escapes, chewing through containers, and smell. I’ve seen videos of standard storage bins and think they would chew through them. I’ve also heard to make sure spacing is 1/4" or smaller. Was thinking of the front opening Exo Terra but worry about them chewing the plastic, also how I would put a water bottle in there. Same for standard tanks

I once had a hamster in an aquarium with a water bottle and I got one that had a hook over the top that went over the rim and was small enough that the lid still closed. I think they make some with suction cups though I’m not sure of that.

Here are pictures of my set up for my 3 babies. These are pets but you can get bigger setups.
I have seen a rat rack diy that uses black cement tubs from home depot. They will not chew through those. I will be building one of them when I get to that point where I have more snakes.
I can post the link when I find my papers I printed out of the rat rack build.

5 Likes

I am having problems getting this to post more than 1 picture at a time. Sorry. Let me try again. Lol

4 Likes

I no longer breed asf but I liked lab style cages. Asf also smell way better than rats and mice. This is my rodent setup.

10 Likes

I’d like to have a racking system when I get a house to increase the amount I can produce. Right now, I’m looking small for just the 6 juveniles BPs I have. Are those rodent tubs good for grow outs also?

1 Like

Yes I used the labs for breeding and grow out. Just need to make sure and get the large ones.

2 Likes

This is the rat rack I was telling you about. It gives instructions on how to build. you can do modifications to it if you think of something to improve on.
Rodent Rack : 4 Steps - Instructables

When I do build one, I will use a bucket on top of the rack and tubing running to each tub for water. Gravity fed system. Eliminates the need for all those water bottles.

1 Like

My steel rack is actually has a gravity fed water system unfortunately I didn’t take into consideration the height of the bucket lol.

5 Likes

I thought it looked like it had tubes. Yeah most people have high ceilings.
I will have to make my rack short to allow for the buckets. I could use a 2 gal bucket to save space and my back.
It will be less heavy.

We’ve had ASFs chew right through the corner of those black heavy duty totes, the ones with the yellow lids. I wouldn’t trust anything plastic again after trying to fish the buggers out from under the dishwasher :sweat_smile: We’ve switched to a rack system with custom sheet metal bins and that’s solved the issue nicely

2 Likes

I was looking for lab cages and of course like everything out there…they are sold out. Would plastic storage bins work? Otherwise, I would have to try to make room for a rack. A local reptile shop makes them for $60 for the first level, and $50 for additional levels.

2 Likes

Yes they would work fine for the time being. Invest in a soldering iron for putting holes in it!

1 Like