ASF wound. Need help!

I was curious if you guys know anything about this or if it’s just a bite wound. I hear they can get staph infections. Any help would be great.

I’d get a good close examination of it and see how deep it is, and apply Vetericyn. Check it daily- If it looks or smells infected it might need medical attention, I don’t have a lot of experience with rodents. I do know a lot of first aid with dogs, and Vetericyn is safe for many mammals, so this is what I’d do with a pup. Be sure there’s no abscess or lump under or next to the injury, or then you do need to see a vet.

1 Like

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Seconding the abscess comment!
Rodents can make a thicker form of pus than humans so they can abscess and form pockets of infection quickly with the metabolism they have.
If the area starts to feel bumpy then that’s probably what’s going on. Sometimes they’ll form a drainage wound but that would still need the main infection area to be properly cleaned out.

You can also flush the area with a sterile saline if needed. That can help between vetericyn treatments or if the scab comes off leaving an open wound.

1 Like