Asian Water Monitor Housing

Thought i come here for real ppl with real honest answers. I was searching around for the best size enclouser for an adult asian water monitor. Can i house an asian water monitor in an 10’Lx4’Dx6’H. Please dont be rude this a school project for a 6th grader. Any suggestions and ideas will help with the school project thank you.

No, that is too small. Asian water monitors get around 6 feet in length and can get bigger (largest recorded was over 10 feet). You would need something at least double that, ideally triple so you have room for the pond they will need to swim in. You would either need a full room in your house, or a very secure enclosure outside if you live in a hot state.

3 Likes

Here is a good video for a report on them.

1 Like

Asian Water Monitors need space for digging and climbing, and a large water feature.

2 Likes

I literally just posted this in another thread so I still had it in my copy/paste queue

Starting at around 1:24:30 they discuss Mike’s Merten’s monitor setup. Short version - he has them in a cage that is 2.44m wide x 1.83m tall x 1.22m deep with a 1135 litre water component

2 Likes

Merten’s monitors average around 3.5 feet, so they are a lot smaller than asian water monitors. Would probably need to scale the size of the enclosure up a bit.

2 Likes

Size of enclosure will depend on male/famale and locality. NERD is breeding some smaller locality monitors. Anyway determine how big the full size lizard is likely to be.

Asian water monitors are the second largest lizard behind kamoto Dragons. You will need an enclosure big enough for the lizard to move around, have a temperature gradient, and a tub big enough to submerge itself (minimum).
I am planning on a 12x14 foot inclosure inside with a stock tank and climbing/basking shelves.
The summer/outside run is planned to be around 12x20 with a nice water feature. My Asian water monitor is a female and only about 14 inches long but should grow fast. She is currently in a 2x2z4 Zen habit. She will need upgrades before she is big enough for the bigger enclosures.

3 Likes

Awesome, hope you have fun with your baby thanks for the info.

3 Likes

It’s going to depend on the sex and locality, a female from a smaller locality would get about 4 foot or so and would work in that size enclosure. A big male with a lot of for example sumatran blood could get 7 or 8 foot long and so a deeper enclosure would be better.

2 Likes