Asking for help with leo rack

Im going to be rebuilding and reconfiguring all of my set ups. Im trying to save room yet keep things comfy and looking good.
Anywho, I want to build a nice new rack for my leos, and was wondering what everyone uses/recommends.
Picture just cuz I LOVE THEM.SO MUCH!

9 Likes

I built my own rack, I started with a metal frame (which came with a 40g I had) and added wood on both sides (if I built it again I would add a back), I then made shelves held up by pins (which are adjustable but still strong).
Here’s an old picture of it

If I built a freestanding rack what I would do is use pvc (wood would work if you’re trying to save money) and make 3 sides with adjustable shelves.

2 Likes

What size bins did you use? Did you use belly heat or backheat?

2 Likes

Those are sterlite 16qt. I used them for my leos for several years. I recently gave them more floor space and moved them to 28qt sterlite tubs. They don’t seem to care lol.

2 Likes

They are 16 qt with belly heat. I used 3 separate strips of heat tape instead of a long one so all the tubs heated the same. I just looked at the 28 qts and those look better. They’re shorter so they don’t take up much more space but they have more floor space.

1 Like

We’re deep cleaning today excuse the messy floor.

I built this shorty so my incubator could set on it, but it’s become a handy gecko rack/tub cleaning station.

3 Likes

For my leos I’m using a PVC stacking cage system from Boaphile Plastics, a PVC rack from Lone Star Reptile Racks, and I’m having a custom rack built by Lone Star with polycarbonate tubs for better visibility. I try to give my geckos (depending on age & health status) 200+ sq. inches, and always go with belly heat on a thermostat.

3 Likes

Ive seen a lot of people use 12 qt. What is your opinion on that?

It depends on the surface area of the floor of the enclosure. I personally think it should be 200 square inches at minimum, but most breeders would disagree with me. Babies and juvies will need significantly less room than adult Giant morphs. Some cage furniture can help maximize use of enclosure space if the enclosure is tall enough.

I used to 16qt tubs until I accidentally squished one of my females tails with hide and she dropped the tip. Now I use 28qts and I’m a lot happier with the larger floorspace.

1 Like

I have 5 geckos in larger tubs like that and I love it too! They have so much more room to thermoregulate, and I have room to add multiple environmental enrichment objects with that much space.

1 Like