Avocado tree wood for enrichment?

Hi guys, first post here So I have to prune the avocado tree I have in my yard and it just coincides with the fact that I’m ordering some good sized terrariums for my ball pythons, I was tempted to do biactive setups and given that with the prune and the enclosures I have spent a lot of money, I was wondering if the avocado tree branches were safe wood for the snakes so I can save in decoration and recycle the branches, it would be nice because I could choose a wide variety of sizes and widths and cut them to fit each enclosure, but I don’t know if the wood is safe, I heard cedar is toxic for example.

4 Likes

I think it would be fine but I would wait for some others to give their opinions.

Anyway, welcome to the community! We would love to see your ball pythons! Hope you stick around!

6 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community! I am so jealous that you have an avocado tree in your yard! I’m assuming you have fresh avocados occasionally on said tree? So jealous! :joy:

Somebody will have an answer for you because tbh I don’t have a clue.

And yes pictures of your bps and their setups anytime are always welcome! :pray::heart::blush:

5 Likes

I know the fruit contains persin which is poisonous to some animals not sure about reptiles tho.

7 Likes

It’s only toxic if they eat enough of it, which I wouldn’t think would be an issue for most reptiles.

I feel like avocado branches would be fine in an enclosure, but I can’t be totally sure.

2 Likes

I got super lucky when renting haha I still can’t believe I have this tree, yes sometimes I have batches of 15+ avocados, it’s kinda dangerous/funny having to dodge the fruits when they fall
I’ll post a few pics of my bps in a few days, no problem!

2 Likes

I thought I’d just ask, I was unaware until recently that cedar was toxic for example so that set me the dobut of which types of wood are also toxic, I think I’m gonna ask my vet about these branches
pics of my bps are on the way! haha

3 Likes

I breed mice and fed them these avocados a couple of times and they’re fine so seems this isn’t the dangerous type, but Im still cautious, I was worried since I didn’t know some types of wood could be toxic to snakes so Im afraid this type of wood could have something, if not it would be really convenient

3 Likes