Axanthic Pied what one to keep?

Hello everyone. I have been reading and learning on here for a long time.
We just had our first clutch and proved out 2 first time parents. Both pied Het Axanthic ( female 66%). We had 6 eggs and had 3 visual Axanthics so I guess we got lucky with the odds. My question is what do you look for for a hold back? All 3 Axanthics are males and we want to keep one. I’m not to concerned about the low-medium white pied ( I think they are all awesome) one seems to be overall darker with more pattern does this tend to be the same with his offspring? Or basically all 3 will produce essentially the same baby’s?
Thanks for your opinions and I hope to contribute more.

15 Likes

I would personally choose the one that has the best example of axanthic in it. I personally would choose the one that is to the bottom left, but that is because I like higher white pieds. Beautiful clutch though, you could really choose any of the three.

4 Likes

Bottom left for me :ok_hand:t2::blush:

1 Like

Man I so wish axanthics stayed looking this nice. All three have great things going on with them. I’d definitely have a hard time choosing in your shoes. I like the cleanliness of the pattern in the bottom left, but the low white has a neat pattern too on the bottom right.

3 Likes

I personally say the one on the bottom right is the best. Just looks like he has lighter colors over all. That and his dorsal stripe looks really cool.

4 Likes

Personally I’d choose bottom left, but it depends what you want in the snake! They are all amazing :star_struck:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Super nice clutch! Hope to be looking at something similar in about 5 to 10 business days lol. Bottom right all day long for me! Smoking

4 Likes

I had a feeling that you picked that one, because of the low white pied, and probably has to do with how well the black contrasts the white.

I’m just a huge fan of low white pied.

3 Likes

Personally I love more white on pieds 100%!
But I think bottom right is absolutely beautiful with the patterning! So i would actually pick that one myself if it were me! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love axanthic pieds in general! They are beautiful double recessive :crazy_face:.

1 Like

Bottom right for me… I’m a sucker for low white pieds

4 Likes

Either of the two on the right, I like my pieds more even in color to white ratio, leaning towards more pattern. But honestly, they all look good, so I’ll be happy to help, just chuck the ones you don’t want to me! :+1: :rofl:
Lovely clutch all around, great odds.

1 Like

Have you chosen your keeper yet? :blush:

All of them! lol

No :roll_eyes:. I like the high white pieds. But the other 2 have darker grey and black and obviously more pattern. I always hear breed quality or find the best example of what your breeding and use them. I honestly don’t know how to tell that or if there is even a difference between them being that they came from the same clutch. All 3 Axanthics are amazing in my opinion and life would be awesome if we could just keep them all! :partying_face:. Original we thought the bottom right just because he had a crazy pattern and seemed the darkest (not sure that a good or bad thing) but his grey goes further down his sides so it doesn’t show the contrast against the white like the other 2 do. I’ll post some individual pictures of them soon and maybe someone can convince us one way or the other. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

They all look good, I suggest holding them back for an extended period of time and keeping back the snake that best retains his colors.

7 Likes

Definitely! That is a wonderful idea!

2 Likes

I would hang onto all three as well to be able to select the one that is the best eater on your desired food type and that has the better personality of the three. All three look great so on looks you couldn’t go wrong with any of them. When you have the chance to weed out a finicky snake take it.

I have a few finicky snakes that I can’t wait to replace with their offspring hopefully

4 Likes

I had strange but very similar clutch last year a imported female het axanthic (breed i got from couldnt remember which line) proved out vpi axanthic male was a DH vpi, pied. 6 babies 5 with pied markers 3 to point tracks an almost sharpie black on 1 the tracks go on around half the body without a single break in them. An the axanthic baby is one with pied markers. If prove out thats what a 50% that proves out to 100%

Long story short that whole clutch got put in hold back rack. Being as mom was a wild caught babies are f-1s an picky as can be at times but starting to have noticable growth spurts an not being as defensive.