Axolotls are actually salamanders

I just learned the other day that axolotls are only larvae of a salamander. They are able to reproduce in their larval stage but with the right conditions they can turn into adult salamanders. Adding thyroxine to their water (I’m not sure about the details) will cause them to perform metamorphosis and turn into an adult salamander. I just thought this was interesting and wanted to share. If anyone knows more about how this works I’d love to learn more about it.

3 Likes

What do they look like when they change!

1 Like

It’s also unnatural and shortens their lifespan.

This is something that never happens in the wild or captivity and I do not advice people doing this…

They’re perfect the way they are :blush:

5 Likes

True, I was just wondering. I love them just the way they are.

1 Like

They look like tiger salamanders basically as are related.

2 Likes

@lumpy

2 Likes

Oh goodness, I really don’t like that…
Please leave your muddy puppies as muddy pups. That is really horrible :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

It certainly looks… Strange… :joy:

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties Where did you read that it shortens their lifespans? I haven’t heard that and I’d love to look into why that is. I agree that they should usually stay in the larval stage (with rare exceptions like studies) until more is learned about it.
@lumpy They look very unusual, I actually kind of like the look of them (not as much as the larvae) but I wouldn’t encourage it unless I was positive that it wasn’t harmful.

2 Likes

Its pretty common knowledge in the community from what ive seen and is usually triggered by the wrong conditions in order to adapt and survive. As for exactly where that information is i cant tell you, but if you want some more info on why they dont morph, and what we know about it, heres a source woth some good info.

2 Likes

I wrote my undergrad thesis on axolotls and can verify that forced metamorphosis (generally via hormone administration in a research environment) is harmful to their health and VERY unnatural in axolotls. They are a neotenic species that should stay in their aquatic form for life.

3 Likes

I knew this picture would come in handy one day :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

It’s online, literally put in axolotl metamorphosis and you’ll find alsorts.

I don’t agree at all with changing something for us to learn… It’s unnatural and lowers their lifespan, so they should be left as they are :blush:
Look at how many wonderful fish species have been removed from the sea and then died instantly because they can’t deal with the pressure etc.
Some things need to be left alone…

2 Likes

I agree, if they evolved to never need to turn into adults there’s probably a good reason for it, and there is since it’s harmful to them.

3 Likes