Baby corn snake missing!

Hi everybody, I have bad news to share. I went to check on one of the two baby snakes I have left from the breeding season and to my dismay she has escaped! I am unsure as to where to start looking for her than looking around the numerous heat sources I have in my room due to having other snakes. Being a 12 inch baby corn snake I know its not going to be easy to find her, wish me luck :sob:.

3 Likes

Shoot! Do you know how she got out?

Lots of things to try, but the first thing would obviously be to tear apart the room she was in. After that, I would put crinkly plastic bags or paper around the edges of the walls and once the sun sets, listen for the sounds of movement. If you have dogs or cats, also pay attention to any unusual behavior by them. They might end up pointing out the snake to you.

Hope you find her!

4 Likes

I had her (and my other baby corn snake) in a 10 gallon with a locking lid with a pin. What I didn’t realize until now is that there is a little square-shaped space at the back of the tank lid and knowing how good babies corns are at wedging themselves out of cages, I am 99.9% positive this is how she escaped. I have since blocked of that escape route in my other corns enclosure of course. Hope I can find the little she-devil soon :roll_eyes:.

1 Like

Can you post a picture of the setup?

1 Like

Colubrids are usually pretty curious so along with @solarserpents suggestion, I would say periodically go into the room it escaped in and do busy work or just mess around on your phone while paying attention to hiding spots around the room.

If you have a plastic tote that’s too tall for it climb out of, put it near something the baby can climb up, with a meal and a water cup in the bottom of the tote. Easy safe snake trap, but it only works on neonates lol.

Beware of any tape in the room with loose edges, I had a loose neonate garter get stuck to a piece of tape once and that was all it took…

2 Likes

I am sooooo happy to announce that she has been found! Seems I got lucky today and I found her under a pile of blankets. When I first posted this topic I hadn’t had time to search my whole room and I just lifted up some blankets and boom, there she was! In conclusion, no major harm has come to her after her adventure, other than a small minor abrasion and some scale damage a little ways behind her head were she (apparently being very determined) squeezed her way out, but Im sure she will heal fine. Would it be ok to soak her in a diluted betadine bath just to be safe?

8 Likes

Skip the betadine. Just a soak will be fine. The scale damage will heal in 1-2 sheds normally.

6 Likes

Glad to hear it! Betadine probably isn’t necessary.

6 Likes

Nice! Congratulations! I had a Red-Lined Garter escape for almost a month. It can be super nerve-racking. I found it again also under a pile of blankets and stuffed-animals :slight_smile: That was traumatic but I can laugh about it now.

2 Likes

Perhaps we should all throw a pile of blankets down. Hate to reward the escapees, but I’d love an easy find…

3 Likes

Congrats on finding them again, it’s always rewarding for a snake ti come back not to harmed, though I’m sure it was stressful for you the whole time!

2 Likes