Baby Enclosure Setup

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me the idea to switch my boxes vertically for all my baby cresties. Right now they have food and water dishes, paper towl on the floor, and some greenery. What else do you all suggest? I see some use foam for climbing?

7 Likes

I would defined say something to climb on, small cork bark or branches is what i use.

7 Likes

I would add more climbing branches. I use bamboo pieces that you can get at gardening stores as stakes. You can get a lot of them for a cheap price and they work great for small geckos. One thing I did was put a perch horizontally about 2/3-3/4 up and glue it in. It gives you a spot to wrap fake plants around and my geckos love it.

5 Likes

What tubs/enclosures are these?

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Organizers-Kuject-Stackable-Containers-Entryway/dp/B0BFD7NKWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?crid=1KHP6LJOA79Y9&keywords=shoe%2Bstorage&qid=1691700895&sprefix=shoe%2B%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-14&th=1&psc=1
They are a shoe storage container that work perfectly for young crested geckos

3 Likes

Defo add branches :grin:

4 Likes

@cmills these are the ones I have

Kuject Large Shoe Organizer Storage Boxes for Closet, Fit Size 11, Clear Plastic Stackable Sneaker Containers Bins with Lids, Great Substitute for Shoe Rack, Space Saving for Entryway, Black, 12 Pack https://a.co/d/80gwA3X

1 Like

Just added some foam tubes and they are already loving them :smile:

3 Likes

That looks good! I love all the improvements you’re making. The only other thing I would change is giving them more cover, like maybe adding more fake plants, but these are turning out looking good. You could also try going bioactive, I do that in my crestie enclosures.

2 Likes

@erie-herps thanks so much, I appreciate the kind words! This is all new to me. We currently breed rats and snakes and decided to also venture into cresties. My boyfriend is doing lily whites and im doing dalmatians. Ill have to pick up some more greenery. Some of the cages are completely full but some could use more. I dont plan to keep all 19 though. Was thinking 5 for breeding and the rest ill bring to the next 2 repticons and see if they sell.

1 Like

Definitely a good improvement, well done :+1:

Still think you need more hiding places up top, cresties don’t usually use the floor area much

2 Likes

@foxreptile so maybe more greenery on top of the top perch?

2 Likes

That sounds great :+1:

Mine mostly sleep towards the top, some sleep in the Coco stuff :person_facepalming: but best to start with more, you can always remove some bits once you know what they like

2 Likes

@foxreptile So the perches are there now (2 in each cage, one lower and one higher), the greenery is there, but they are still wanting to sleep under the paper towels. They crawl on the greenery and the perches when they are awake but when I go check on them during sleepy time, all of them are under the paper towels :pensive:

1 Like

Mine like to sleep under paper towels the first weeks after hatching.

2 Likes

It’s possibly because it’s familiar & safe. Give it a few weeks and they might change their mind.

But don’t worry if they don’t, like I said…I have a few that prefer the bottom for sleep time :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

@foxreptile okay that makes me feel better, thank you!

2 Likes

Anytime, I’m sure cresties like to make us worry.

You may need a little more humidity also as I find on hotter days the Geckos prefer the bottom also.

1 Like

Its been 100° here in Florida all week, the feel like temp has been around 115° so ive been in there multiple times per day checking the levels.

2 Likes