Ball Python Escaped

Great news! We all have all been there :snake::+1:

1 Like

I believe it really happens a lot. Every snake owner I know had some going on a stroll around. I’m so happy our snakes are all harmless. Imagine it is your king cobra escaping. How do you even search for one like that? Or if your find it in your woofer, than how are you getting it out without killing yourself? If one like that get’s out they even have to evacuate the whole neighborhood. I will really never ever keep venomous snakes.

Several years back here in Florida, someone’s cobra got loose and the local news made a huge deal over it. They even released a map showing the location of every person who held a permit for venomous reptiles. I don’t even own venomous myself, but I thought that was a pretty big violation of privacy.

I know I’m late but here’s my advice and experience dealing with a lost snake. Dont go crazy with searching for it, moving furniture or other objects could disturb the snake and make it wander even more. The snake may also not leave wherever its hidden for a long time, my last snake that I lost only came out when it was hungry and thirsty. Dont worry too much and I am fairly confident you will find her eventually

I agree, that is a very serious violation of privacy. I will never keep venomous snakes myself. I’m so scared for them myself and I know myself enough to know that it will go wrong one day. But the people who keep them are very aware what they are dealing with and the risk involved and the fact that almost non of them excape prove that. Snakes are a primal fear of a most people, venomous even more. If you release a map of snakekeepers of non-venomous snakes half of the people around already go crazy. When you show them who keep venomous snakes, it’s going to be terrible. I don’t think people who don’t keep snakes can handle that information in a sensible way.

@nathan_e when my snakes escape, I don’t go crazy but I will search and move things, of course in a way I can not damage the snake if he/she is underneath. I want to find them as soon as possible before they start looking for food or water, and till now the longest I ever searched was one hour, most I even find within 10 minutes. I have two dogs walking around and even though they don’t pay attention to the snakes when I hold them, I don’t know what they will do if they find one crawling on the floor. Besides that, I don’t have the time to sit around and wait and watch them come out and I believe it’s best to find them when they are still nearby. I don’t know about colubrites but ball pythons don’t move from the hustle or move very slow. When you find they they simply look at you like " oh, you here to?!" And keep still.

Luckily, the snake who caused the post was already found sitting between some pillows.

1 Like