Ball python feeding habbits

Ok so me and my partner are having a conversation about getting a ball python and her only concern is that it will size up our jack Russell and i have said there’s no way it will be big enough to eat the dog, can someone reassure my Mrs that the snake won’t be big enough to consume the whole dog haha

1 Like

Lol. No chance. Your jack russell would murder a ball python in seconds if it wanted to.

2 Likes

I knew that would be the answer but I find it funny her dog is more important than the kids lol

1 Like

:joy::joy: my mom essentially said the thing about their 20 lb mini schnauzer.

Like no, Mom. Not only could get me of them not harm him, but Even if they found a way to communicate and cooperate and teamed up on Schultz…WWE Royal Rumble style he would still win, lol.

2 Likes

I mean don’t get me wrong I thought the same thing what if the snake got out would it attack the dog but it was a slight thought before I went to sleep…its no biggy lol

Just found pics on google where you can see these subadult ball pythons would have no chance to kill either the chihuahua or the other dog. The only way I could see it even having a chance of being a problem was if you got a volta python which get considerably bigger than regular ball python when full grown and even then you could still have a huge snake and a dog in the same space as long as you are careful and dont do something irresponsible such as leaving the dog and snake together

Here is one of my adult het clown females that is about 2000 grams or in other words basically full grown.

1 Like

she is beautiful, thanks i tried to explain that BP dont grow big enough to eat a dog

Yeah just thought the pics would help the mrs understand better on their size :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thank you much appreciated, i think we have settled her mind

1 Like

Yeah please don’t copy these people and do dip photo shoots that’s a really dumb idea but at least we have the footage…for science. Lol.

Yeah when I saw it I disapproved but I just wanted to use the pics to get the point across

1 Like

nah i wouldnt even think about putting a bp next to my dog she is crazy af.

My grandmother never brought up the dog but she does constantly tell me to put locks on my racks so they cant get out in the middle of the night and strangle myself and my husband in our sleep :joy: we have not had an escapee yet but it did tickle me that she was worried of that lol. Hope y’all can agree to get one. They are awesome pets.

1 Like

I have heard the old wives tale (about the retic or whatever that laid in bed with the lady measuring her so it could eat her- total myth btw) probably like 10 times from friends when they found out I had snakes.

2 Likes

Here’s a 4000 gram female pastel (het lavender) ball python born in 2015. I’ve only had her almost a year but she wont take anything larger than a medium rat on the larger side. If it approaches a large size rat she wont touch it. She would allow it to eat her before she attacked it. No way she’s taking out a dog.

My very large boas back in the day would be large enough to take out a very small dog but still likely too big for them to eat, unless it’s a puppy chiwahwah or something.

2 Likes

I know a retic is the only proven snake to have eaten a human… we haven’t told my grandma we have a retic for her well being. My friends or coworkers constantly tell me not to bring them around or they will kill them. I got mad at one coworker and told her If she brought any of her 10 cats around me I’ll stomp them and kill them. Her face turned mad and I told her “Yea doesn’t feel so good when someone tells you they will stomp your pet to death does it?” (No offense to cat owners, I like cats, it was just to make a point.)

2 Likes

I’m willing to wager an anaconda somewhere deep in the Amazon has consumed a person at some point but I’m also not volunteering to go collect proof lol.

2 Likes

There is a fairly immature girl here where I work that tried to tell me the myth about the python laying down by his owner and the vet saying he was measuring to eat her…she tried to tell me that was one of her friends it happened to. AS IF SHE DIDNT THINK I EVER HEARD IT.

I laughed so hard, she was embarrassed when I called her out to the team for trying to take credit for it lol. I still kid her about it sometimes

1 Like