Ball python morph? Idk

So, a while ago I got my first snake. When i got him I was told that he was a mojave. He looks like a normal to me. Can anyone help me with figuring out what morph he actually is? I was considering trying to breed him by getting a lesser, but I dont want to waste my money trying to make leucistics if he’s not even a mojave. I really appreciate the help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately I have to agree on him looking more like a normal, no Mojave.
Was he a pet store/Facebook find ? Or was he from a breeder? If breeder did they say the pairing?

8 Likes

I agree with @armiyana, looks like a pretty standard normal to me

2 Likes

He came from a coworker that was trying to get rid of him. He belonged to her son and her son wasn’t taking proper care of him. I asked her about his morph and said he looked normal, which wasn’t an issue for me, and she said he was a mojave. I was never convinced on that :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Ah… Yeah I had someone once tell me a leopard gecko they were surrendering to a coworker was albino because it was ‘pink and yellow’. Well… It was black spots on a yellow gecko…that was dyed pink from the substrate it was on. One of the weird pet store sand blends. Head desk

Some people just can’t be trusted. Lol

8 Likes

Happy New Year :fireworks::confetti_ball::balloon: and welcome to the forum! God bless you for adopting a very nice BP! I’m sorry that he is not what you were kinda hoping for but anyhoo he looks like a fine gentleman! :+1::blush:

2 Likes

He does look like a beautiful Wild Type or normal, though I am no expert. He has got some fun patterning.
I might not breed from an animal whose genetics are unknown, although the odds of him having babies with problems is low. Keep this guy for a year or three and see if you like them enough to breed them. I worry that a lot of people rush into breeding to just do it, instead of taking time to see if the passion sticks, and saving up for all the vet bills that can happen.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, @sammarie ! You have quite a beautiful snake that is at the very least a great-looking normal. What’s his name? If you are ever curious if he has any recessive genes and have the extra $, you could always have him shed tested. Here’s a link below with genetic testing info if you’re unfamiliar with it.

Genetic Testing Now Available!

Feel free to post more photos of your guy; we love photos. And if you have any questions about practically any reptile-related topic, there are plenty of knowledgeable, respectful people here who are happy to help out.

2 Likes

Breeding was never my goal or something i was planning on doing soon. I thought it would be fun to do once to see if i got any cool babies. I already planned on getting a second snake just because they’re my favorite animal and I love them

3 Likes

What a cute ball python! I believe he is just a normal, I don’t see any mojave in him. He sure is adorable though! :snake: :heart:

1 Like