Ball python substrates

Best substrate for balls? Right now I’m using cypress mulch in my tubs. Thinking about switching to tissue paper. Any pros and cons?

I use a mix of eco-earth and pro-coco. Using paper is just sad and doesn’t provide any enrichment for them. Mine enjoy pushing it around and making little nests, and it’s super easy to spot clean and maintain humidity

1 Like

I prefer cypress mulch but I mix it with a bit of sphagnum moss to help keep humidity up.

1 Like

IMO I don’t know that their is a best but more of a what works for you. People have used all forms of bedding at some point and had success. I used coconut bedding for awhile and then switched to tub liners for most of my hatchlings and smaller snakes but still use cypress and coconut bedding for some of my breeder females that I’m breeding to so they can nest in it and I can tell when their nesting as well. For me using the liners helps with easy and timely clean up and on them they are still eating and growing well so they must not mind them. I like to try different things for myself and see what works for me and my animals. Also humidity requirements are different for everyone depending on where people live so that’s another reason I like to try things because what works for me might not necessarily work everywhere

2 Likes

Most important is the substrate makes the environment you are looking for. What works for me and keeping humidity might be different for you. I might have mold issues with some and you may not at where you live. After that its keepers preference, generally what’s easiest for you to clean with your work flow.

personally I use coconut husk for everyone.

2 Likes

Matt pretty much nailed it on using what works for your room. The other thing I would say, is that the substrate you’re going to keep the cleanest, is probably the one you should stick to. Some are not as easy to clean up messes in as others. Try them all and take notes :man_shrugging:

I atm use orchid bark.

But when they’re all in vivs I’ll be mixing in some coco fibre, moss etc for bio for them.

1 Like