Ball Python weight concerns

Good evening, MM-ers

I have a quick question about the weight of my ball python. He was a rescue so I don’t know exactly how old he is. With what little info I got about him initially I’d put him at around 8 months old. He is a rotund little guy to put it politely. We keep exclusively colubrids so I just want to make sure his weight and age add up. 8 months old tipping the scales at 190 grams. Does that math work out?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I guess we kept exclusively colubrids before this guy. I’ve had him for 6ish months and he has been a strong Easter the entire 6 months.

Ball pythons are heavy bodied animals, and so what’s considered a healthy weight/body condition is a lot different.

Pictures would really help with determining if his body condition is good or not!

While there can be significant variation between sizes of ball pythons at that age, I would say 190g is definitely too small. Most of mine are between 300-500g at that age

3 Likes

Thank you. I will post some pics when I can. I just fed him and thought about this post after the fact. I opened the tank to try to get a pic and he clearly wanted more food so I let him be. I’ll post a pic in a day or two.

1 Like

I would also agree with @chesterhf on him being rather small for that age.

1 Like

At roughly 8 months old and given if he was a consistent eater, he should weigh about double that.
But if he looks healthy, no loose skin or visible ribs/spine, I wouldn’t be to concerned.
You could always offer him food every 5 days and if he accepts food that often, he should bulk up in no time.

4 Likes

That sounds on the small size. Pictures would help for sure. But every snake is different I wouldn’t be alarmed as long as they appear healthy,are eating, and having normal bm.

2 Likes

This is my boy, Scooter. Sorry it took so long to get pics. Holiday rush and all. These 2 pictures were taken this evening right before feeding. He tipped the scales at 186.5g so a little lighter than his last feeding. He sucked down a 30g large f/t mouse. He has been a consistent eatter for me. Never skipped a meal, not even during a shed.

1 Like

His weight and body structure looks good to me! Looks perfectly healthy! I would switch over to rats if you can. They will put weight on him faster!

3 Likes

Looks good to me not over/under weight.

1 Like