Ball Python's *Hide* surface tempature issues

So I just got my baby ball python a week ago and so far so good. He’s in a 20 gallon long tank with cypress mulch, 2 Hides in warm and cool side, UTH and CHE heat lamp with a thermostat to both, and clutter. My ambient tempature is 82F with 55% Humidity with a towel on a screen lid, warm side is about 92F and cool side is at 78 to 80.
Today I used my tempature gun and pointed it at the surface of the plastic hide on the warm side and it reads from 100F to 107F, but when I flip it to check under the hide temp is 92F. I have my CHE lamp on top of my hide because my UTH just doesn’t do the job of heating, especially since it’s winter where I live at. The thermostat prove is on top of the plastic hide on the warm side that controls the CHE lamp and I set it up at 90F.
Can my snake get burned with that surface temperature? What can I do so it doesn’t get that hot?

Them temps are on the high side in my opinion. Measure the temperature from were the snakes body touches at that. I keep my hot side at 85 for balls.

3 Likes

I keep mine between 78-90

3 Likes