Banana Gang!

Banana gang, I want to see all of your most amazing banana combos. And you’d better add some bamboos too. I’m quoting this as it’s the best thing I’ve seen in 2024, “petition to name banana bamboos bananaboos.”

6 Likes

I haven’t bred much the last year or so, so most of the bananas are 10,000 pictures back in my phone but here’s a fun on.

GHI Mojave Champagne Banana

7 Likes

Very pretty, I got a question though. What’s the deal with champagne, I hear so much about how bad the spider wobble is but nothing about champagne and hidden gene woma. Are they just a lot less severe than bees and spiders? Because I know I’ve seen some very sad situations with extreme spider wobble but champagne and HGW seem to be a lot less noticeable. Is that just a thing or do you just breed the snakes with the least severe wobble for offspring with minimal wobble? I’d love to know the whole thing is super interesting to me, but regardless, beautiful snake.

3 Likes

Wobble is more of a spectrum across complex. Generally in single gene form Spider is going to be the worst. Next would be homozygous or heteroallelic combos of certain genes ie. Super Spotnose, Spotnose Spider (Not all are bad, but the bad ones are usually pretty bad), Super Sable, Super Cypress, etc.

Some homozygous combos are just lethal and the babies either don’t hatch or die shortly after. Super Spiders are actually leucistic. I produced one in 2017 accidentally, but it died within minutes of leaving the egg. Same thing for Super Champagnes.

Wobble in Champagne usually doesn’t manifest in a way someone who isn’t used to looking at wobble morphs would notice. Some do show it pretty bad when stressed or feeding though. This dude you’d never notice.

Spotnose, most HGW, Woma, Champagne, Cypress, Wookie, and a few more rarely show much wobble in single gene form.

Blackhead is also allelic with the complex and it masks wobble entirely.

5 Likes

Wow super interesting, I don’t think I’d ever go for spider but champagnes are just so pretty. Maybe one day I’d try a pair and see how it goes.

2 Likes

Blackhead spiders don’t wobble at all. A super blackhead spider is a pretty powerful breeder still, and you get to dodge all of the wobble nonsense.

3 Likes

5 Likes

But that isn’t possible as blackhead is part of the spider complex right?

2 Likes

That is actually awesome, spiders are some of the prettiest snakes I have ever seen, I just don’t want to work with a snake that’s permanently ill in a sort of way. The whole concept makes me sad, but a super blackhead spider could be something I go for.

1 Like

So theoretically if I need a super blackhead to a blackhead spider what would happen if both blackhead and the spider were passed down, would it just be a lethal super spider? Because super black heads don’t have the wobble, and breeding a blackhead spider to other genes doesn’t guarantee all babies having black head which will put you with wobble babies. And I checked MM and yes I can’t find a super black head spider.

1 Like

Ah yes. Not sure where my brain was lol.

2 Likes

They simply can’t all land on the same allele as @logar pointed out. Super blackhead x blackhead spider would simply yield Super Blackheads or Blackhead Spiders.

3 Likes

That’s actually amazing. New future breeding plan, black head spiders and super black heads.

2 Likes

Sorry to bug a sleeping thread, but would that mean you could avoid a wobble altogether if you breed blackhead spider (+ desired extra genes) x blackhead spider (+desired extra genes)

This would still leave the possibility for a super spider (lethal) or super blackhead, but any spider combos resulting would not have the wobble?

I won’t ever breed in that project, but if that is possible its a wonder most breeders don’t already do that to try to avoid spider problems. Maybe due to the potential for the lethal outcome for some of the babies (understandable)

2 Likes

It sounds like it, but I wouldn’t really want the chance of a super spider. I would breed blackhead spider (+desired genes) X super blackhead (+desired genes) and that way you can avoid all possible complications leaving you with only super blackheads and or blackhead spiders.

3 Likes

The better thing to do would just have one of the parents be super blackhead

3 Likes

Giotcha. Again, I’ll never breed BPs but genetics are cool to learn about!

2 Likes

I just found this, I am a bit of a banana addict.
@caron Im still learning what morphs look like in bananas. whats the ones you posted
?
Here is my lesser banana

3 Likes

Ok so first of all your banana lesser is very lovely! Now for my little monkeys!: :joy:

The first one is a regular Banana

The second one is a Coral Glow Phantom Pinstripe

The third one is a Granite Lesser Coral Glow

The fourth one is a Coral Glow Phantom Pastel possible Granite

Thank you for your interest Barry! :pray:

3 Likes

They are all wonderful but for me the forth is my favourite.

Some of my March 2024 hatchlings. Just Mojave,Mojave fire, fire and a basic.
Might be pastel in some but I cant ID that out against fire yet.

3 Likes