Banana Geckos?

Ok my MRC geckos folks, I have a knowledge search for you. We went to an expo this weekend and there was a young man that had some “farm-raised” “farm-hatched” geckos he had labeled as banana geckos. He talked them up pretty well, and was honest about how he got them. They were adult specimens. And we were rather interested in getting a 1.2 and trying to breed them to get CBB animals in the states. However, they werent exactly the healthiest looking. Anyway, we didnt leave with any.

BUT, still enthralled with the HUGE feet they had! So does anyone have any knowledge about them. I wish I had pulled out my phone and got a picture. They looked like this but were dark.

5 Likes

Awwwww! I too would love information on them! :blush::+1:

3 Likes

I’ve personally never heard of a banana gecko! And the only article I found about them didn’t list a scientific name… my first thought was a golden gecko (Gekko badenii) but they don’t quite match the picture or the huge feet description.

The image looks like a Gehyra species, my best guess is either a halmahera gecko (Gehyra marginata) or oceanic gecko (Gehyra oceanica) ?
I don’t know if anyone’s breeding the oceanics, but you can definitely find captive bred halmaheras. I don’t know too much about their care, though I was just about to look into it since one caught my eye recently :flushed:

5 Likes

@spottedbull

Look up Gehyra oceanica

5 Likes

Elisha, those are very close to what we saw there. May even be the ones. They were definitely Gehyra geckos. Unfortunately we didn’t get the guys contact information, either. But there is still a desire on our part to breed a lizard that is sort of rare and get them CBB into the hobby.

5 Likes

There are definitely some extremely uncommon geckos that show up in the ‘Other Geckos’ section of MorphMarket, I actually check it like twice daily because it’s so cool. So I think it’s pretty likely you could find something really cool there. :blush:

I sound like an advertiser but I really do mean it- watching that section is super fun!!

8 Likes

Extremely fun! I’ve been wearing it out!

5 Likes

The Other Geckos section is the main offender of my ever-expanding gecko bucket list. Good luck picking just one to start a project on!! :rofl:

5 Likes

Ive got my eye on a juvenile halmaherra gecko. But of course I gotta get the enclosure first.

3 Likes