Banana male maker gene

Hi all I have a question on the Banana male maker gene. If you have a male banana ( male maker), if you breed this snake does the high/ all male gene follow the banana line specifically or is every baby produced by that snake affected by the gene.

example- mojave banana( malemaker) male bred to a ghi female. Have a clutch of 7. 1 ghi banana, 2 banana, 2ghi mojave, 2 normal. Will the ghi mojaves and the normals all be male as well or will it be normal ratios

3 Likes

It should be normal ratios because banana is a sex-linked mutation which means it will cause different male or female ratios but shouldn’t affect the other morphs.

3 Likes

A male maker banana will mostly make male bananas and mostly female non bananas. So in your example the ghi mojaves and normals would mostly be female.

4 Likes

I don’t exactly understand what your asking, but I had asked similar question in the past and nobody told me what I really wanted to know.

Basically on a male maker the banana gene is stuck to the x chromosome, so nearly every time it passes on a male chromosome it passes the banana gene with it.

For example, lets say a textbook clutch of 8 was produced from a male maker, 4 Males & 4 Females, All the Bananas would be males; all males would be bananas. All normals would be females; all females would be normals. You would have 4 banana males and 4 normal females.

This is however not always the case, some people with large collections produce female bananas and normal males from male makers every season, some claim that their male makers throw female bananas 1-2% of the time, while others have been using male makers for years and have yet to produce a single female banana.

1 Like

What did you want to know?

Y chromosome

There is a small chance for crossover, where the banana gene will go on the x chromosome. making a banana female. thats why female bananas make female maker males. the banana gene is on the X chromosome on those males.

3 Likes

So let me get this straight, the Banana gene is on the Y chromosome so that somehow increases the chances that the offspring will inherit either Banana or the Y chromosome (making them male) and the other comes along with it

Males have XY chromosomes, females are XX and the male determines the sex of the offspring by passing on either an X or a Y.

In a male maker banana, the mutation/variant that causes the banana phenotype is on the Y chromosome and as a result will be passed down to any male offspring.

In a female maker banana, the mutation/variant that causes the banana phenotype is on the X chromosome ad will be passed down to any female offspring.

Sometimes chromosomes will “cross over” and exchange genetic information, which is when you have the occasional incident where a male maker will produce a female banana or vice versa

5 Likes

Thank you all for your input.

So from the sounds of things a clutch from a male maker banana will have a normal female to male ratio,however most,( but only), of the males will carry over the banana gene.

Fascinating, informative, and logical

2 Likes

Makes sense except I have one more question: How does this increase the chances of males being produced or am I getting this wrong and a higher ratio of males are not being produced?

You should still (theoretically) get an equal number of males and females from the clutch, the main difference is just who inherits the banana

2 Likes

Just to make sure this is perfectly clear - there is only ONE gene at play in Bananas/Coral Glows and that is the gene that causes the colour change phenotype. There is no second gene that acts on the gender of the animal

2 Likes