Banana or what is it?

I need your help. I got this 3 year old girl as Banana YB, unfortunately not with complete papers. It bears no resemblance to any other bananas. The colors are stronger and the eyes are dark red. What did I get there ??

5 Likes

Edit: After review the age, I’m thinking Lavender Albino with the red eyes. Not sure how that would be confused for banana tho. I’m not an expert on lavs tho.

3 Likes

I also thought of an albino species. I think it’s a bit like Candy.

4 Likes

I agree because if she was banana there would definitely be freckling by her age, and the purple “wedges” (idk what to call them) in her pattern definitely resemble lavender albino.

3 Likes

Looks like a candy or candino to me. Bananas will never have red eyes iirc

4 Likes

Not a Banana. Based on the tone of the colouration this is most likely a Candino

6 Likes

I’m gonna jump on his post since I have a similar question. I picked up this little the other day. Don’t know the pairing that produced it. Looks banana base on color and freckles it has. Another breeder had mentioned the orange on the dorsal as possibly having another gene like OD in there. It also has reddish colored eyes. I will get that pic after it finishes eating. Thoughts comments questions all welcomed

2 Likes

From what I can see. Looks like a beautiful banana. Not seeing anything more from these pictures

1 Like

I appreciate the input. Maybe @t_h_wyman or @saleengrinch could help

2 Likes

Looks like a banana from those pictures to me as well. The orange blushing is something you see in single genes too. It gets especially prevalent as they age. Bananas have reddish (more of a dark brown) eyes in certain lighting. Bright lights make the reddish color easier to see. Most of the time it is so dark they just seem black. My banana combos eyes look black, but if I use a lot of light when taking the picture you can see a more of a brown to em. Try getting better full body shots of him.

1 Like

For reference, here are a couple banana OD. Deeper/more vibrant colors from what I can tell.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/pythons/ball-pythons/463749

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/banana-orange-dream/

Not sure if OD effects pattern, but all the OD bananas I have looked at have a smoother pattern with less alien heads.

1 Like

Thank you for the input @ashleyraeanne. I just looked at some examples. Another person suggested pastel but it’s too bright next to our pastel banana het clown we have. Maybe just single gene banana and that’s ok with us.

1 Like

op pics looks to be a candino to me and @ggjr thats a banana you have

2 Likes

If it has red eyes it is not Banana.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. I will test pairing with Lavender first. Let’s see if something works.

1 Like

Coral glow/banana is a incomplete dominant version of T+ albino which explains the eyes.

Don’t think there’s orange dream in there pastel is more likely. Different lines of pastel have different degrees of color so that would explain the difference between from your other coral glow pastel.

It absolutely affects the pattern.

@ggjr identifying genes is tough in general. It’s easiest when you can compare to clutchmates!!! The longer you work with ball pythons and the more you hatch your experiences will help you greatly at identifying genes!

3 Likes

I would recommend lavender last. It isn’t allelic with candy or albino. I thinks odds are your animal is either candino(my choice) or candy so I would pair first choice with either candy or candino. Second choice would be albino which is allelic with candy. Going this way you will most likely get visuals in your first clutch. If you don’t then it’s lavender and then you can pair for that the next time it breeds. Either way going this route you figure out what you have in the first clutch!

5 Likes

In pictures their eyes look black to me.
I looked it up and it said they had a faint red tint. Learn something new every day. I’m just gonna just read from now on.

1 Like

Thanks @saleengrinch and everyone else for the input. We are looking forward to drowning these guys and seeing what happens in the future.

1 Like