Banana Pin x Pastel Clutch. Help ID!

Hey folks
So the male is a Banana Pin that I suspect has something else going on. He’s very bright yellow and has really faint markings and nice white on the side. The female is, as far as I know, a Pastel, but she was originally sold as Pastel Spotnose. I think she may be something else in there but maybe not Spotnose. Has a bit of a squirrely pattern. I got these snakes as adults and don’t know much about their origin. She dropped 10 big healthy eggs and we got 10/10 hatched. The babies were a bit of a surprise to be honest. I can’t tell what’s going on here. Mandarin? OD? Something else? The Banana Pin is a carbon copy of his dad. They look great but I need a bit of help. Thanks!

Note: The picture of them coupled is on Instagram and has a bit of a dark filter because the lighting was cr*p. The shot of the 6 of them together is preshed. Also the only pictures of the male I have have my stupid face in them. I apologize. 🫣

3 Likes

A better pic of the male showing more of the lower side pattern might help.

maybe like there’s calico or sugar going on? They tend to start off kinda pink along the lower sides when the hatch and gain more white as they shed out a few times. If your male is pretty high white on the sides, that could be what’s going on.
I wish I was more familiar with the genes to say for sure, but your male could maybe be a low expression.

1 Like

Imo those don’t have calico or sugar. Pastel coral glow tends to have a lot of white.

Here’s my old coral glow calico male I produced for comparison.

Neither parent looks to have calico/sugar. To me they are a pastel and a coral glow pin.

4 Likes

Wow he is really high white.
Gorgeous color. I can only hope my CGs get as much of a high expression pastel in them.

I thought so but there is a bit to explain in some of those babies that I can’t seem to reason as simply banana pin pastel. The snake above the pinstripe is clearly a something pin. Sorta looks OD. I think there’s other things going on. Even those 3 pastels looks squirrely. Maybe it’s hopeful thinking. Curious to hear some ideas. And that banana pin, im hard pressed to find a baby banana pin that looks like that and is that clean. They’re usually very pale. The only thing I’ve seen close was an NR mandarin Banana pin. Anyway. Thanks for the input. Beautiful CG also.

I’m honestly not seeing anything. Mandarin is a gene nobody really works with not seeing it just sneaking in. Not seeing it in either parent. Pin is super variable. I’m not seeing anything in the parents or the babies that leads me to believe anything else is present.

4 Likes

Congrats on your 1st clutch. I agree w Shaun’s assessment. Everyone always wants there 1st clutch to have some new/extra/mysterious something. You’ll find 99.99% of the time that they are exactly what you were told they were. As said many morphs can be highly variable, especially in certain combos. Hatchlings often have colorations and blushings early on and will change w 1st few sheds as things level out. The longer your in the hobby the more you’ll see that. Why do you not think the female is spotnose if she was sold as pastel spotnose? That could also explain some variation in color/pattern as it’s 1 of those genes that singularly isn’t much but in certain combos can make big variations.

2 Likes

Judging by babs, parents are exactly that you were told :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for your input. I’m aware there is a massive amount of variability within the particular morphs as well as with different things in the mix. I may be looking at them with hopeful eyes, and obviously I have only a small amount of experience, but I’m having a hard time concluding what a few of them are given the parents particular genetics. Excluding the bananas and the obvious pinstripe, they are very different from each other. So, let’s say nothing else is in the mix, and I’m a total noob. What would you call these given, the parents?

1 Like

Normal
Pinstripe
Pastel,pastel,pastel
Pastel

2 Likes

Have they had their first shed yet? This might be part of why they may look different to your eyes

1 Like

They have all shed in these photos, aside from the picture of the group of 6. I respect your observations. I don’t know if I totally agree with Normal, Pin, and all Pastels, especially seeing them in person and comparing them to one another. That normal has a really orange hue in person. Could just be bright. That’s fine. I’ve seen bright normals. That pin is entirely diff from his sister, both in color and pattern, to the point where I can’t imagine it isnt influenced by something else. Looks almost OD Pin. I have lots of pins and none of the single genes look anything like that. Additionally, that last pastel is so bright, I’d never even consider it the same as the other three, which arguably could be just pastel, altho they have some super interesting patterns, similar to the mother who was sold as a two gene animal. I don’t know I’ll just have to keep a few around and see what happens. I know the variations can be severe but within the same clutch I’m more inclined to believe that the major differences are due to genetic expression and not just variation. I could be wrong. I’m a noob. Thanks for your suggestions. I really enjoy this part of the hobby and I’m happy to finally be in a position to have to guess here. Nice to have some input.