Bantam Corns: Possible New Mutation

In 2023 I paired a Miami Honey het Cinder Stripe female and a Miami Cinder het Caramel Cinder Sunkissed Stripe. I got some great morphs out of the clutch, such as Sunkissed Stripe, Shatter Stripe, and Caramel Shatter. But I also got nine “dwarfish” corns from the clutch of 24, with varying degrees of expression.

I’ve been calling the dwarfish mutation “Bantam.” They are shorter and much stockier than standard corns. They also have a different texture to their scales, making them feel more heavily keeled than a standard corn. There is also a different shape to the scales along the spine, giving them a different sort of reflectivity than standard.

Here are eight of the nine Bantams I hatched, at hatching at the end of August. I sent a ninth low-expression female Bantam Cinder to my friend Olivia at Solar Serpents.

Here they are after feeding yesterday:

I’ll add more individual pics in this post when I have time. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

This is Frootloop, the highest expression Bantam. He’s Bantam Miami Sunkissed het Caramel Shatter Stripe. Around 50g.

14 Likes

Dulcie. High expression Bantam Miami Caramel het Shatter. ~35g.

11 Likes

Castillo, a high expression Bamtam Miami Honey het Cinder. ~50g.

12 Likes

How interesting. This is so cool. I really wonder what there full size would end up being. I am just imagining a 5 foot sausage of a corn snake :rofl:.

But seriously, I can’t wait to see what turns out with this. You better save one for me once you figure this out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, what do you think of this @noodlehaus

9 Likes

I think they’re really cute and unusual! And I can’t wait to see if it proves to be recessive, but it sure sounds like it to me. Definitely keep us updated with how they’re doing - they seem to be thriving for now! Mine is perfect so far, no issues eating, moving, pooping, etc.

10 Likes

Breeding trials over the next few years should iron out the heredity, if it’s indeed heritable! :slight_smile:

They’re only five months old now, so most questions about them are still up in the air. Like what they’ll look like as adults. But they’re growing fast!

12 Likes

These are the same, doing all the things other corns do. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I do have a few questions if you don’t mind answering then that would be great.

So how is there mobility compared to a normal corn (as in quickness, wiggleability, etc)?

Are you positive there wasn’t any fluctuations that could have happened to cause this?

Do they feel any different than a normal corn (as in muscle tone and squishiness)?

I do have about a bajillion more questions but I think that is a good start. Sorry for berating you I just am very intrigued by this and when I get interested in stuff like this, I must know everything about it :rofl:

10 Likes

Crunchberry is another high expression Bantam Miami Sunkissed het Caramel Cinder. She’s about 35g.

13 Likes

They look great as hatchlings. Corns are so spindly typically compared to these guys.
I think the only thing that worries me is how they seem to almost look a bit bloated in the middle on some of these photos. Makes me wonder on the viability of breeding females or anything else as they do get older.

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens over time.

10 Likes

“So how is there mobility compared to a normal corn (as in quickness, wiggleability, etc)?”

The same. They’re better at the “backing out of your hand” trick because they’re shorter.

“Are you positive there wasn’t any fluctuations that could have happened to cause this?”

I’ve hatched in many conditions and never hatched ONE of these, say nothing of NINE. And I’ve seen some egg stress babies.

“Do they feel any different than a normal corn (as in muscle tone and squishiness)?”

They feel very firm, and not squishy at all. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s a big question mark whether they can breed. So far they’re doing everything else normally. They popped as easily as any corns when I sexed them as hatchlings. So I’m hopeful. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I don’t know much about corns, but even I can see that these guys have a noticeably different body type from a standard corn snake. As someone who’s a big fan of the blood python/gaboon viper aesthetic, I think they’re adorable! I love how short and chonky they look. I’ll be very interested to know how this all pans out. Hopefully these little chonks continue to thrive, and it turns out to be genetic. That would be so freaking cool!

8 Likes

They remind me of gaboon vipers too. Or water snakes!

8 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! I always think Gaboon Viper or Blood Python when I look at them too. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Ok I am flipped out over these guys! Some of them kinda remind me of gray banded king snakes. Every single one of them are so unique!

I say congratulations to you for producing them. I can’t wait to see what they the look like as adults! :blush:

Keep the updates/photos coming!!! :pray:

8 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Some other corn snake people that might want to take a look at these:

@caryl @spiritserpents @carol_huddleston @sarahssnakeshop @mvite @shadowspiderjack @don_soderberg

(Sorry if I forgot anyone!)

7 Likes

I’m sending Carol H. the only trio of 66%phets (if recessive) I’m willing to let go of right now. :slight_smile:

7 Likes