Basement herping

Lucky I found him before my dogs did.

9 Likes

Wow, I’m jealous.

Do you know if he is a lonely strangler or if there is a family nearby?

The best thing you can come across in a English basement is woodworm :joy:.

3 Likes

Here in GA there are plenty of anoles and 5 lines skinks, pretty common when the shines to see 3 or 4 at the time within arm reach, we also have a few species of snakes…so if you leave your back door open it’s pretty common to find a guest.

2 Likes

That’s seriously cool.
The UK doesn’t have much in the terms of reptile life as it is, so with me being in a very dense city full of cats it’s very unlikely anything interesting will stroll through my door.

We have 3 types of snakes and 3 types of lizards but I’m yet to see any out in wild.
Adders, Grass and Smooth snakes.
Slowworm, Sand and Common lizards.
Also a few species that have been introduced by humans.

We do have quite a few newts that can be found near fishing spots though.

1 Like

SHE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!! :wink:

I’d like to see a newt while fishing though…

1 Like

That’s seriously cool.
The UK doesn’t have much in the terms of reptile life as it is, so with me being in a very dense city full of cats it’s very unlikely anything interesting will stroll through my door

I spent 26 years of my life in the North of France and Paris and 2 years in London so trust me I understand, which is why I love it here.

2 Likes

GA is definitely a great place to live, there are so many different types of terrain and environments. As a kid I lived near a pond just walking distance from my house and would catch all sorts of things and we would see so many different animals in our backyard like raccoons (which stole food from our garden with their weird little hands/paws), deer, and a bunch of other things so that’s a super cool find you have! I don’t think I recall catching many anoles because they are just so dang fast.

1 Like

only thing i find in my basement are spiders and those ugly camel crickets. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I hate those crickets! But since moving to my house three years ago I discovered a new creepy crawly that I dislike more: House centipedes. Relatively harmless, but WAY too many legs for me. :rofl:

We also get spiders galore and the occasional escaped dubia roach.

3 Likes

those things look like abominations, just so ugly but i guess its the best example of that saying “the face only a mother could love.”. the only other thing that i have found in my house that makes me squirm inside would be the woodlouse hunter spider. They are a weird deep red color and when i try catching them they rear up and show their fangs

2 Likes

In texas anoles and house geckos are abundant! I would find all sorts of geckos and lizards in my house as a kid and my step mom would have me take them out because she was afraid of them

2 Likes

@nathan_e woodlouse hunter spider huh. I think I saw one once running across the floor. Those are the red “lipped” ones with big fangs right. Aggressive lil buggers…all I could think of was “look at the fangs on you holy crap. What could you possibly need those for?”

1 Like

yeah i think we both saw the same kind. creepy little buggers for sure

Those little fangs are used specifically to crack open the shells of woodlouse with ease. I don’t think I have ever seen them where I live, but I do have to deal with earwigs in my room more often than I would like. :persevere: Why any creature would need a pinchy butt is beyond me.

2 Likes

Ive always wondered why they would need those too. As a kid i thought they were sorta like scorpions in the sense that they used the tail to help them catch prey in some way

where I live, there are rattlesnakes galore. also garter snakes and sharptail snakes. and lots of blue bellies and alligator lizards. the alligator lizards are MEAN