BCi Pair Ready to Breed in September in San Diego, CA? Should I let them?

I took my male IMG (etc.) Bci out today to show him to some friends and noticed that he had just shed and defecated. He seemed to FLY towards my big 10-year-old female Bci in the big cage next to the rack where my males live, and when I tried to put him back in his bin, he kept trying to get to her, so I opened the glass door and let him in with her to find out if they liked each other.

They immediately wrapped their tails and looked happy as can be, which is a good sign in terms of compatibility, BUT… Should I remove him and cycle them like I was planning to over the next few months? Or just leave them together and see what happens?

Vhagar, the female, has been eating an F/T colossal rat every 7-10 days or so, but Balerion (the male) didn’t eat his F/T medium rat this past week because he was in shed. Other than that, he’s been eating every 7 days.

This is my first try at breeding Boas after 20+ years working only with ball pythons, so any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We did have a tropical storm last week, followed by heat wave, and it just cooled back down to fall temps (70s) outside so maybe that’s why they think it’s breeding season…?

2 Likes

Welcome to the family @sabrinamashburn! Glad to have you here! This is a great place to be for a reptile enthusiast, breeder or keeper!

As far as your breeding project goes, I would say that it’s probably a done deal and you can probably expect a litter, clutch, or whatever you want to call ‘‘em next spring. I am not a breeder but I kept my male and female together thinking it would be fine because I wasn’t brumating them to breed on purpose but when my male stopped eating I separated them and then the next spring I was surprised one morning with 11 little baby boas!

Others will advise you on how to proceed from here but it sounds like your male and female intend to be parents so let me be the first to congratulate you @sabrinamashburn and don’t forget that we all here love baby pictures!

All the best to you! :blush::+1::clap:

2 Likes

Not sure the girl is ready.If u want to pair these two just put them together after few days.Let the female prepare for breeding.After few weeks she might shed that’s the ovulation.
BTW I am not sure cause I’m the first time breeding boas too…Ive ask some old ones they told me details😮‍💨
Its hot here about 28c?or maybe more but all my snakes are inside maybe for 30c everyday

2 Likes

Sorry my English isn’t so good but hope it can help u a little

2 Likes

Thanks so much for weighing in! They both ate this week, but are back at it again now, so I guess I will have to wait and see…! :slight_smile:

4 Likes