Bearded dragon babies

Yes I had a curious question for you guys being experienced breeders. I have a female hypo zero that laid eggs, and have hatched. The father was a hypo trans phantom stripe. Currently the dragons are sporting the stripes. The question is will that change? Are zeros born without patterns? And how soon will I know if it is trans?

1 Like

None of the babies will be Zeros, because Zero is recessive (both parents have to have it). Similarly, there will be no Translucents. All will be Hypos though. The individuals who were born striped will be striped for life.

2 Likes

Forgot to add, all will be double het Translucent Zero, and will produce Hypo Translucent Zeros when bred to each other.

2 Likes

You saying these dragons will stay the same, but if I kept a male and female from this batch I could produce hypo trans zeros? Even being siblings?

1 Like

Yes, exactly.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you for this information my friend! I’ve still got a lot to learn, but it is fun learning all this. Is there a place I can go like schooling to learn this stuff first hand? Or is it all thru experience?

1 Like

You can always do a search for bearded dragons on this forum & read through all the topics you find.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll have to look around

2 Likes

You would absolutely not want to breed siblings together.

2 Likes

1 generation of inbreeding likely wouldn’t cause negative effects. It takes multiple generations to cause negative effects like lower hatch/fertility rate and deformities.

Is this from personal experience? I don’t want to do anything not healthy for the dragons or my progress. If I had another het zero het trans dragon would that be better?

As the breeder that brought zeros Into the states and proved out the genetic as a stand alone recessive, yes, it will cause issues. The captive species is bottlenecked, and when working with newer mutations in order to produce stronger, healthy offspring, outcrossing is extremely important. every single zero and het is related to some degree in the first place. Breeding siblings results in less than optimal results.

1 Like

Yes it is from a place of experience. You would be better off either purchasing another het from someone, or making unrelated Hets from a different zero x non carrier pairing.

1 Like

Ok, awesome, thank you kindly my friend

1 Like

This is dangerous advice! Please do some research on inbreeding to better understand its effects as @phantomdragons explained before suggesting such a harmful practice. I have witnessed such atrocities firsthand and it is never worth the outcome if your babies all have crooked spines and/or other deformities!

1 Like

Off topic guys. Thread is related to potential genetics & phenotypes of pairings.

If you would like to discuss inbreeding, please do so here:

3 Likes