Bearded dragons again

@nathan_e the color and texture of his skin reminded me of a lump of hamburger when he turns really dark and I like the show Aqua Teen Hunger Force so I thought it was kind of funny. I figure when I get back to doing educational shows the kids will get a kick out of the name as well; i always take that into consideration when naming them. Sometimes ill offer up a little prize to the first person who can tell me where a name came from just as an added bit of fun to the presentation.

5 Likes
8 Likes

Meatwad is definitely stunning the type of dragon I would get in a heart beat.

5 Likes

Love the set up :metal:. I’d never have thought to use rocks to keep substrate out of the glass tracks. Brilliant bit of thinking.

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Is a bearded dragon the right pet for our family

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is a bearded dragon the right pet for our family

So a few weeks ago I got a message from a friend of my sisters who is not a reptile keeper and she said her step son was coming to live with them and he had a bearded dragon. From being around me she knew the way he was being kept was not right but that was the extent of it. The dragon was being housed with a whites tree frog and a toad in a semi-aquatic setup. So she asked if I could come talk them through everything they needed to do when he got here from reno. So below is the before and after pics since we just finished the setup today. I of course had them remove the water right away and set it up dry with the tree frog in a separate tank and the toad stayed behind in reno, but it took some time with covid to get everything in to complete the enclosure. Her husband built the top exactly to my specifications which has 3 porcelain lamp fixtures and a new arcadia 14% uvb t5 desert bulb. One lamp fixture for the main basking site, one for the led lamp to light up the rest of the cage which provides a small amount of heat, and one extra just incase they need additional heat either at night or during the day. whenever.

I’m proud of what they did seeking help before this dragon had any serious health issues and then actually making the changes that needed to be made. The dragon amazingly lived in the original setup for about 7 months with no adverse effects as far as i can tell. I’m so happy I was able to help them and now this kid can continue to raise his dragon, Falco, and i have full confidence he will thrive and live to a ripe old age.

10 Likes

Wow what a tank transformation! Glad you could help them correct his care! Now the kid and bearded dragon can grow up together and he can have a good experience with his beardie! Thank you for sharing! I love stories like these.

5 Likes

“She’s the kind of kid that lacks other people’s plates clean.”

7 Likes

I like to move things around, add rocks and branches, and take things away every so often to keep them on their toes a bit more. These rocks are firmly in place and provide a better basking spot than the branches by themselves.

8 Likes

Meatwad with a belly full of repashy and roaches…

Starfire freshly shed…

6 Likes

What morph is the one with all the white and Orange

2 Likes

Thats the same one as above thats all reddish orange. She was in shed thats why she had all the white. She is a hypo translucent.

3 Likes

Ok thanks just was curious

2 Likes

My how they grow! When fed properly and kept at the right temperatures bearded dragons grow incredibly fast. I often see the phrase, “power-feeding” thrown around, but I’m here to tell you that term does not apply to bearded dragons. They are designed to grow as quickly as they can to avoid being easy prey for larger lizards, snakes, and birds of prey. They are eaten by a lot of other animals in their native land and the quicker they grow the better their chances of survival and breeding before they get eaten. However, obesity is definitely a real problem in captive dragons due to being fed too much of the wrong things too often. It’s important to do your research on feeding a proper diet.

9 Likes

Great shots as always! I always find it hilarious how they lay on one another and was wondering, do you think they mind? Either way I can tell they are living the life and enjoying every bit!

7 Likes

I don’t know anything about Beardie morphs, but those guys sure are awesome-looking! Does Dahlia get white where she’s beginning to shed? (This is ridiculous, but I just realized I have no idea what a shedding beardie looks like :woman_facepalming:.)

5 Likes

Yeah the skin appears white or grey depending on the dragon right before it starts to peel…

9 Likes

They tend to stack more as babies than as adults and they do seem to mind it but the only the ones on the bottom lol. It’s generally a way of competing for the light. The only reason they appear to be doing it here is because I had just set meatwad down and had given all of them soak since they decided to walk through some poo. They always like to bask and dry out good after soak.

8 Likes

8 Likes