Beautiful and Sad

I was at one of the large well know commercial chain pet stores in usa today (starts with a ‘P’) and saw this beautiful precious baby in less than stellar condtions. You can’t tell by the photo, but the little precious has shed stuck to both of his back feet, he was very alert and curious like tegus are, and he was desperately trying to dig ‘deep’ into the substrate to find what I am sure he was seeking, moisture! They had his substrate layer so thin a baby dubia roach could not have got lost in it! The price tag was way too high(449) considering these tegus are cheap now since they are in invasive species in at least three US states now. What a shame, they are an intelligent species and truely seem to enjoy interaction with people. you guys I did all I could not to take him out of there and start saving for the 8 foot tegu enclosure that Kages makes…but i know buying from these places only will make more sad stories. I need to avoid the reptile area or not go at all to these chain stores. I’m so worried that some person is going to buy him while he’s little and cute and not understand the kind of care he needs and end up killing him or causing some other health problems, and not realize the kind of housing they need as adults because obviously the staff at that store are not able to educate properly. I just hope he doesn’t lose toes or nails with that stuck shed…

4 Likes