Beginner Heavy Webber Arboreal T

I’m looking for recommendations on a new beginner tarantula that is a heavy webber and is arboreal? What are your top 3?

I, as always with arachnids, recommend asking at arachnoboards since they always have good answers to questions. From what I’ve found it seems some good suggestions are:
A purpurea
C. versicolor
Avicularia avicularia

3 Likes

I love these guys! :heart:

2 Likes

I agree, that’s likely going to be one of my first arboreals when I finally start getting into tarantulas.

2 Likes

I also agree with Carabena versicolor as an option, they have beautiful colors and mine webbed up a good bit in it’s hiding spot, but not really anywhere else in it’s enclosure. I also have a Psalmopoeus pulcher spiderling that has completely webbed up it’s enclosure. I’m not sure if they would be good for a beginner since they are pretty fast, but I hear some say that they aren’t as bolty as others in the Psalmopoeus genus. GBBs aren’t arboreal, but they are semi-arboreal so if you give them enough climbing space with decorations to use as anchor points, they will web it all up. Those 3 would be my picks, with a disclaimer on the pulcher to be just a bit more careful with it.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll look those up for sure. Some I’m kinda familiar with the names. I’ve got an Aphonopelma chalcodes and a Tliltocatl albopilosus. But about to have an empty enclosure that would work really well for an arboreal. Our baby crested gecko is getting a bigger home.

1 Like

Not an arboreal species, but worth mentioning. I LOVE my Hapalopus sp. Columbia. Very heavy webbers in my experience and so pretty! i always see mine on display. I believe this was the 3rd tarantula species i ever bought… i think… lol

One of mine has webbed up its enclosure from its burrow, to all 4 corners of the top of its enclosure by now.

4 Likes

oh yeah! Those guys are definitely up on my list!

1 Like

Granted avic avic is the only one of have adults of. But as slings my avic purpurea seems to web up the most.

2 Likes

That’s kind of what I was thinking too, I can’t off the top of my head think of too many heavy webbing arboreal tarantulas other than some species of Avicularia, although a great semi-arboreal heavy webber is the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, more commonly known as the Green Bottle Blue.

4 Likes

Funny enough. We recently tried moving one of our juvenile gbb’s into a slightly more arboreal setup. It doesn’t seem like it webs quite as much as it did in the old setup but it’s something I’m interested to see how it pans out. It’s old enclosure was wall to wall web

4 Likes