Belly half checkered?

So I have a beautiful young corn snake and when doing bin cleaning I noticed something a bit different, the top 1/3 of her belly is pure white, but then after that her belly is checkered like most corn snakes… well besides the color being purply instead of black. I know there is Motley in her genetic line from both parents, but she does not express it visually. Is this just another one of her quirks? None of her siblings are like this, they have either all blank or all checkered bellies. Its probably nothing crazy but I think it’s pretty cool and wanted to share anyways.

5 Likes

That’s within the range of normal variation. Although with her belly checkers not being black, she’s probably one of the hypo types. Could you get some pictures in natural lighting, like by a window? Ideally a closeup of the eye, the belly, and a full body shot.

6 Likes

Will definitely try for better photos later as it is 1 am currently, so no natural light to be found hahah. I still think she’s pretty cool regardless if she is a normal or hypo (she has 1 obvious hypo sibling and 1 ghost sibling, so it is in the realm of possibility.)

5 Likes

What a cute baby! I agree with @solarserpents, this is within normal variation. Checkered belies are usual, but a barely checkered belly or an even an absence of checkers is one of those things sometimes pops up. It doesn’t appear to be linked to any other traits. I once had a normal dorsal patterned baby who had no belly checkers at all. It had one sibling with reduced checkers similar to yours, and the rest had typical checkers. Like you, I thought it was a bit of extra fun.

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool! Also that’s a very bright corn for the size, nice snake!

2 Likes

Cute little snake noodle! Thank you for sharing! :blush:

2 Likes

Alright so i took her and 2 of her siblings for some photos

This first set is of her.

Then these are the other 2

And

The gradient here is kinda why im unsure if shes a hypo type or a normal, because these two make her look hypo but putting her next to her hypo sibling she looks normal.

4 Likes

The one with the reduced checkers looks Hypo to me. There are scarcely any borders on her dorsal saddles, and I don’t see any black. Her eyes are lighter. I don’t see any black in the belly checkers she’s got.

Cute babies. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I agree with @caryl but it will be easier to tell in a little while when they all color up more.

2 Likes