Best hatchling rack system?

Hey all!

I’m looking for a PVC rack system for baby house snakes, corn snakes, and Mexican king snakes. I’ve narrowed it down between the C Serpents colubrid hatchling rack and the Animal Plastics hatchling rack. I like the C Serpents rack, but I’m a little concerned that the tubs are too small (12x3x2).

Anyone with experience/suggestions? Thanks!

Mack

2 Likes

Reptile Basics have their I-10 rack, which has approximately the same size tubs. You can fit half the amount of the larger sized tubs that are twice the size, but we have that same rack and feel its appropriately sized for kings, corns and hogs.

3 Likes

Thank you for the response! So you have the Reptile Basics I-10 rack? Do you like it?

If you’re good with some DIY, you can make your own pretty easily. I modified 2x of these ones: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-52-625-in-H-x-34-75-in-W-x-14-63-in-D-4-Tier-Plastic-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/50061465 I think it holds about 32 6qt tubs?

Can you show a picture of what your modified shelf looks like?

2 Likes

I like them a lot. I like the fact that you can choose between the two sizes of tubs, though it might not be necessary to have a size between the VE-i80 tubs and a 6 quart. They’re designed to be stackable, I’ve seen a full wall of them in a larger facility, quite a lot of snakes in a very compact space. Assembly is relatively easy. I’ve heard that the I80 tubs can come a little warped. I haven’t had this problem. My only gripe is having to deal with all those pegs to keep the snakes from sliding the cage out and escaping, but it’s a needed feature because little corns or kings will push the tub out.

1 Like

Please excuse the mess. The reptile room is a bit of a catch-all atm. It was my first attempt at building a rack. Not the prettiest to look at but its been going strong for over a year. I’ll need to tweak it a bit in the future.

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware of the pegs. Is that something you need to order separately?

No they come with. With smaller containers it’s pretty much a requirement to have clips or pegs to stop escapes

Awesome, thanks! So there is not enough gap for between the tub and rack for small hatchlings to escape then? My partner is very concerned about this, haha.

No, it’s very tight.

1 Like

I just got an I-10 from Reptile Basics and put it together yesterday. It was mildly frustrating at first because only the bottom, middle and top shelves have screws in the back. Because of this the shelves that only have screws in the front would sag ever so slightly towards the back. I’m a bit OCD about stuff like that and it was bugging the daylights out of me but once I had it all together it tightened very nicely and there’s no more sag. There’s a very tiny gap between tub and shelf, but really only enough for air flow and not an escapee. Overall I really like it so far. Only thing I don’t like is apparently the casters they sell don’t fit well with the I-10. As someone who has to be extremely careful what I carry otherwise I’ll be bedridden all day, that’s frustrating.

2 Likes

What covers the bins ? Is a sheet of wood ? Thank you

It’s 1/8in Eucaboard. I got it from either Home Depot or Lowes.

1 Like