Best home depot substrate for leos

Hi i am wanting to make a more natural enclosure for my leo and I don’t know the best substrate for them because they are from the middle east i want more sand instead of the other stuff but i was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for substrate brands from Home Depot

1 Like

Sand still isn’t the best substrate for them. While there’s a lot of sand in the middle east, a lot of the areas you naturally find leopard geckos is more rocky and packed down than sandy. The more sand that you have in the enclosure the more you will increase the risk of impactions as well. Especially if they aren’t receiving enough calcium or they gulp substrate while eating.

If you do decide to go with a sand, the thing I find best is to use it in combination with flat slate rocks to fill spaces between the rocks.

As far as home depot substrates go… I haven’t looked myself. Too fine and it may cause eye issues. You also want to make sure there’s no additives of any type to it that can affect them as well

1 Like

I know i was going to try and mix some soil with sand for the substrate and find a sage bush that won’t grow too big with lots of stones to emulate the rocky mountainous terrain

1 Like

A 40/60 playsand/topsoil mix seems to be what you are looking for

1 Like