Best “prove out” methods

Everyone always says prove it out …show me your prove outs and what came of the clutches!!!
How did you determine which pairing for your best possible prove out ?
Were you happy with what you got ? We’re you expecting g something different ? Did you get something super awesome you weren’t expecting?

2 Likes

I’m doing this now so I will have to update when it happens… but I got a collection from someone that said a male in the group was Black Pastel dh albino piebald. I am waiting on ovulations but I paired him to an Albino Spider and a Mojave Piebald. I didn’t have anything to prove out both with the same female but made sure to have a visual female so I could guarantee the genetics. If he proves both I know all the off spring are 50% het the opposite.

Male
Female Female
8 Likes

Recessive I would put it to a visual, so at the least I get hets. I am proving out a. “Flame” spider now. I do not see the flame ( same gene as fire) in her. So I am pairing her to a fire. If I get a white snake she is flame. If I had something I didn’t know what it was, I would pair to a single gene animal. Less guess work.

2 Likes

A different type of proving out involves no reccesives, sometimes you’ll need a normal to prove out a 4+ multi gene.

2 Likes

I have an awesome new ghost project out of Africa check her out! I need some ball python god good luck from you guys!

I have two options.
breed to an african male normal
or breed to a multi gene male?>

what would you guys do?

GHOST LINE FEMALE

5 Likes

Looks a little caraglow ish. If you’re calling it a new “ghost” and the other ghosts we know of are recessive then assuming new ghost is also recessive, I’d use the multi gene to start making hets w more genes right away. Goodluck

3 Likes

Super mojave GHI to a normal. Originally was told the male was lesser mojave. And then this one hatched out.

11 Likes

Beautiful, do you know what this is??

1 Like

I haven’t paired anything yet , but it being her first pairing , I would go normal first and follow up with something else next season when you have better insight as to what you should pair with her. This is all new to me.

1 Like

Wow!!! That thing is gas!!! Super nice!

1 Like

that’s what I was thinking too, I know it will be a longer project since she’s a female but dam she looks good!!! I have no Idea what kind of male I’m going to breed to yet its still conjuring lol

1 Like

I also have this other weird male as well! Siked about this other small project too!! crazy orange scales on his traintracks with some cool alien heads and a nice headstamp!! crazy solid black no blushings at all up patterns i think this might be something but not sure little indicators are telling me something

2 Likes

I know I want one just like her for sure keep me posted on that.

2 Likes

will do im siked to get a jump on it!

Regarding “hets” how long will you breed something to prove it out? How many years, or pairings until you give up and basically say “well I guess it’s not gonna prove”? Thanks

2 Likes

If you ever had a het albino and you want to prove it out you would breed it to an albino that would be one pairing. If nothing albino comes out of that pairing you can kind of safely assume that the het is not het.

2 Likes

But if you’re breeding a het to a het. Then that’s a different story, personally if the gene is worth it I would invest some money into it and get myself a visual but you could try to breed that het to het. In the same process if nothing albino comes out, then there is a possibility that the animal is not het albino. But you have to remember that there is a 25% chance of making a albino from that kind of pairing.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I have several het clown females that I believe will prove since I bought them from reputable breeders, but I was just curios to what people used for rule of thumb guidelines. Thanks!

1 Like

That’s the predicament I’m in now. I have several nice hets, and I could make some potential worlds first if I go het to het, but I know I’m also killing my odds by doing so. I think I’ll go the visual route and spend some money on a nice male to increase my odds of hitting. Fun to think about the options though too! I guess I could always buy a multi gene het and pair as well to see what takes.

Prove out methods are really for 50% hets and 66% hets. So if you want to breed the hets together go ahead and absolutely do that. But if you want to increase your odds of producing the recessive parts of your combo, then I would say go ahead and spend money to get a snake with recessive you are working with.

PS You seem like you got this, just make sure that you check if your worlds first is really a worlds first before claiming it to be a worlds first

2 Likes